Airport Extreme vs Time Capsule w/ Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chasealicious11, Feb 15, 2008.

1. chasealicious11 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I mainly have a wireless network to get internet in a room that is pretty far away from my hookup. Right now, On my macbook bought 3 months ago, I get reception using a netgear 802.11g, just the speed is not that good. And on my MacBook Pro bought in august (running leopard) I get bad connectivity and when it is connected, it is pretty slow. So I figured it is time to update to 802.11n with an airport (so I dont need to keep plugging in my external for backing up time machine and for better coverage).

So my questions are:
    Do you think the speed will get noticeably better in that room?
    and
    Can I just buy the Airport Extreme and plug in my external hard drive and use that with time machine or is that bug not fixed yet? Will it be fixed, is there any news on that being updated?... all my searches seem to give me old articles that say we will have to wait for february to find out if it will get fixed.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The N should give you broader range, and better reception at your current range. While Time Capsule is marketed to be a drive for Time Machine, in theory a regular AEBS with an external should work the same way, however the jury isn't out on that one yet and at this point in time no one knows when we will know. My guess would be fairly soon. At the $179 vs. $299 price points, it might just be a good idea to get a Time Capsule simply b/c you can never have too much storage and being integrated into your router is a nice space saving benefit.

3. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Writing to the Time Capsule drive should be faster. Heck, anything is faster than USB :)