Airport Extreme vs Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by illegalprelude, Dec 5, 2008.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

A quick question, if money is not an issue, is there a downside from choosing the Time Capsule over the Airport Extreme Base Stations?

Just the router scenario in this case.

2. woodbird25 macrumors newbie

The only big difference between the 2 is that a time capsule is an airport extreme with a hard drive in it for network storage. Hope this helps

3. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I own a time capsule, and it works great for me, the old airport extreme is in some box around the house, Its very handy to have a lot of hard drive space

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

no downside at all, its basically the same mechanism and the hard drive in the time capsule does not interfere with the wireless aspect. I upgraded to the time capsule from an airport extreme and it works great.

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Thanks alot you guys because, yea I was also under the impression that its the same device, but didnt know because of the added hardware, if there was any issues like less signal strength etc.

Thanks a bunch as always :)

6. mpshay macrumors 6502

I've sort of been waiting for refurb airport extreme but based on the comments above I may just go ahead and grab one of the 500GB time capsules in the refurb store

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008