Airport Extreme w new comcast router/modem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by danpass, Jan 14, 2017.

1. danpass, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I'm still using the original comcast modem since it has a WAN/LAN port.

But the new router/modem, that they arbitrarily sent to me, has no WAN/LAN port.

I definitely prefer to use the Airport Extreme, especially since I have an external drive connected for Time Capsule.

SOLVED:

1. Put comcast router/modem into Bridged Mode.

2. Connect airport extreme to PORT 1 on the comcast machine (this is now "the WAN port").

3. This third part is key: restart the COMCAST MACHINE

That's right sports fans. You have to do the Windows Solution (restart your computer) to get the Airport Extreme and comcast machine to recognize each other.

I had tried restarting the AE several times to no avail. I had gone through all the fields on both machines, researched IPv6, ad infinitum.

DON'T NEED TO CHANGE NOTHING on EITHER machine. Just do the three items listed above.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What's you "question" and what model is the Comcast modem/router?

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

4. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

You can use a 3rd party cable modem. You'll have to call Comcast to activate it, but easy enough. Plus, it'll save you money in the long run since you don't have to rent the modem.

5. an-other macrumors regular

A bit of a thread hijack: I'd avoid using and paying for Comcast's modem. You can get many quality devices for about $60 - $70. The payback is less than 2 years.

The other major reason I'd avoid a comcast router/modem is they use it as a free access point/pay point for other people that want to hop on the internet. Yes, your comcast router and connection is "for sale" by comcast or accessible to someone with a comcast account. So, a bunch of neighbours, could monopolise your connection.

Whilst not an attorney, I wonder if you could be held responsible for someone accessing your Comcast router/modem to do illegal things. It's technically in your home. I certainly wouldn't want to pay attorney fees debating it in court.

Perhaps your Comcast doesn't do this. SW Florida does.

6. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Yep, the xfinity hotspot is active. Supposedly it is a separate channel.

I also have xfinity phone so the modem needs to also have the phone jack. Those seem to be 180-200.

Still considering that option.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If I were unable to deactivate the xfinity public hotspot, I'd encase mine in a faraday cage.

8. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Your statement isn't clear to me. Are you saying you didn't put it in a Faraday cage because you opted-out of hosting a public hotspot (easy to do on the management page), or you aren't a Comcast subscriber, or you use a 3rd party cable modem, or like me, your Comcast cable modem does not have WiFi capabilities?

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm not a Comcast customer, but one of the posts above made it seem like it was difficult to opt out of broadcasting a public hotspot off a Comcast wifi router, so I was making a joke about wrapping the router in a faraday cage to block the public signal if I were a Comcast subscriber.

Guess it wasn't that funny.