• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

DJTaurus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Airport extreme doesnt wake up ATV3 like my old router did when i select an episode from my mac to airplay at my ATV3.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Airport extreme doesnt wake up ATV3 like my old router did when i select an episode from my mac to airplay at my ATV3.

Before I purchase Apple t.v. can I ask why would you expect the Apple t.v. to 'wake up' the Airport extreme?

(My airport extreme is connected to cable broadband/macbook/iphone when i'm home)

Comment

DJTaurus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Your airport extreme goes to sleep?

Αll the options on airport utility are default... i did not change anything... so i guess it does not get to sleep.

----------

Before I purchase Apple t.v. can I ask why would you expect the Apple t.v. to 'wake up' the Airport extreme?

(My airport extreme is connected to cable broadband/macbook/iphone when i'm home)

Let me explain further :)

Whith my old netgear router when i choose a movie from itunes (mac) to airplay at my apple tv it instantly woke my apple tv and the movie started playing on my tv.

Now with the airport express when i choose a movie from itunes (mac), itunes says it cannot connect for airplay.... i must manually FIRST open the Apple tv and then airplay what i want...

Comment

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
[ i must manually FIRST open the Apple tv and then airplay what i want...[/QUOTE]

do you mean waken Apple t.v. from standby mode?

I hope a current Apple t.v. user can answer your question, I'll probably wait before purchasing...have decided Apple t.v. 3 (not bothered about jailbreak etc)

Itunes for a movie when I have the time, may consider airplay music though dont currently have a amp

Comment

DJTaurus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
[ i must manually FIRST open the Apple tv and then airplay what i want...

do you mean waken Apple t.v. from standby mode?

I hope a current Apple t.v. user can answer your question, I'll probably wait before purchasing...have decided Apple t.v. 3 (not bothered about jailbreak etc)

Itunes for a movie when I have the time, may consider airplay music though dont currently have a amp[/QUOTE]

Problem solved. I had to create new network and connect it at my ATV... when i added the airport extreme i didnt make new network but i used the same (i mean same wifi username, same pass as before when i had the netgear without airport extreme).

Comment

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012

OP says Extreme wakes up ATV, not ATV waking up Extreme.

But back to OP, the WIFI router really doesn't "do the wake up." At one point the ATV broadcasts itself on the LAN saying there is an ATV on the network and he's available for service, your other Apple devices took note of that and saved the ATV IP/MAC(?) on their service table.

When the other devices finally decide to talk to ATV, they tell the WIFI router, "go to this address" but I don't think the WIFI router cares what the traffic is for, it just forwards it to the ATV, when the ATV, message received, wakes up.

Why the Extreme doesn't do this versus your other router did, I have no idea. One would think if anything the Extreme would work better. Do you have firewalling or filtering set up on the Extreme?

Comment

Richard8655

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago
Just to add to what was said above, I would double check the following:

1) In Energy Saver, wake for network access is checked.
2) Your desktop's WiFi is on.
3) In Network, your WiFi network is listed as a preferred network.

At least that's what I had to do to get ATV to wake up my Mac. Also for me, wake up takes significantly longer after upgrade to Mavericks. Mine is also an Extreme.

The other alternative is not to have your computer go to sleep. As an energy saving person, this option I'm not crazy about.

Comment

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland

oops sorry :eek:

cool ATV3 it is very soon just to decide where to purchase, local/Amazon/Apple u.k. online

does the Apple t.v. have to be powered on 24/7? when I come home after work to watch a movie , and with 30 Meg broadband -do I have to wait for each movie rental to download before viewing

Comment

Richard8655

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago

oops sorry :eek:

cool ATV3 it is very soon just to decide where to purchase, local/Amazon/Apple u.k. online

does the Apple t.v. have to be powered on 24/7? when I come home after work to watch a movie , and with 30 Meg broadband -do I have to wait for each movie rental to download before viewing

By default, Apple TV will power down after 15 minutes (I believe). The white light will be off. But that's no problem as it instantly powers up when you press any button on the Apple TV remote.

Comment

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Because it only has 8GB internal flash storage, :apple:TV will always buffer (download) content first. It only holds the last viewed media in that 8GB cache.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.