Airport Extreme Wake up

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DJTaurus, Nov 17, 2013.

1. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Airport extreme doesnt wake up ATV3 like my old router did when i select an episode from my mac to airplay at my ATV3.

2. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Before I purchase Apple t.v. can I ask why would you expect the Apple t.v. to 'wake up' the Airport extreme?

(My airport extreme is connected to cable broadband/macbook/iphone when i'm home)

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Your airport extreme goes to sleep?

4. DJTaurus thread starter macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Αll the options on airport utility are default... i did not change anything... so i guess it does not get to sleep.

----------

Let me explain further :)

Whith my old netgear router when i choose a movie from itunes (mac) to airplay at my apple tv it instantly woke my apple tv and the movie started playing on my tv.

Now with the airport express when i choose a movie from itunes (mac), itunes says it cannot connect for airplay.... i must manually FIRST open the Apple tv and then airplay what i want...

5. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

[ i must manually FIRST open the Apple tv and then airplay what i want...[/QUOTE]

do you mean waken Apple t.v. from standby mode?

I hope a current Apple t.v. user can answer your question, I'll probably wait before purchasing...have decided Apple t.v. 3 (not bothered about jailbreak etc)

Itunes for a movie when I have the time, may consider airplay music though dont currently have a amp

6. DJTaurus thread starter macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

do you mean waken Apple t.v. from standby mode?

I hope a current Apple t.v. user can answer your question, I'll probably wait before purchasing...have decided Apple t.v. 3 (not bothered about jailbreak etc)

Itunes for a movie when I have the time, may consider airplay music though dont currently have a amp[/QUOTE]

Problem solved. I had to create new network and connect it at my ATV... when i added the airport extreme i didnt make new network but i used the same (i mean same wifi username, same pass as before when i had the netgear without airport extreme).

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OP says Extreme wakes up ATV, not ATV waking up Extreme.

But back to OP, the WIFI router really doesn't "do the wake up." At one point the ATV broadcasts itself on the LAN saying there is an ATV on the network and he's available for service, your other Apple devices took note of that and saved the ATV IP/MAC(?) on their service table.

When the other devices finally decide to talk to ATV, they tell the WIFI router, "go to this address" but I don't think the WIFI router cares what the traffic is for, it just forwards it to the ATV, when the ATV, message received, wakes up.

Why the Extreme doesn't do this versus your other router did, I have no idea. One would think if anything the Extreme would work better. Do you have firewalling or filtering set up on the Extreme?

8. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Just to add to what was said above, I would double check the following:

1) In Energy Saver, wake for network access is checked.
    2) Your desktop's WiFi is on.
    3) In Network, your WiFi network is listed as a preferred network.

At least that's what I had to do to get ATV to wake up my Mac. Also for me, wake up takes significantly longer after upgrade to Mavericks. Mine is also an Extreme.

The other alternative is not to have your computer go to sleep. As an energy saving person, this option I'm not crazy about.

9. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

10. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Because it only has 8GB internal flash storage, :apple:TV will always buffer (download) content first. It only holds the last viewed media in that 8GB cache.