Airport Extreme - Warm to the Touch?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmFightSpam, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Hello,

I just got my new Airport Extreme 802.11n wireless base station today (MB053LL/A). Works well -- I love the printer sharing.

I just wanted to verify that it is normal to be warm to the touch. It is not awfully hot, but it is noticeably warm on the top of the base station (where the Apple Logo is).

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It uses passive air cooling to cool off. I suggest not covering it or placing objects beside the side vents as well. It does get quite warm.

What did you expect from something without a fan?

3. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I just saw page 36 in the manual and it says:

"When you are using your Airport Extreme, it is normal for the case to get warm. The Airport Extreme case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the unit to the cooler air outside"

So I guess it is normal.

Cool device though, no pun intended (well, I suppose it was intended) ;)

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Mine is so warm that its a fairly constant battle to keep my cat from sleeping on it. He seems to equate it to a warm window sill. Argh

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

That cat thing is pretty funny; as part of the "law of unintended consequences" I'll bet it never occurred to any of Apple's designers that the rounded shape of the older base stations prevented cats from sleeping on top of them, while the newer flat style attracts them.

Then again, if you have a very cold cat, it could actually act as a sort of heat sink, at least in theory...

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Every router I've used (Dlink, linksys, apple, etc) - they all get warm to the touch. don't worry about it at all.