Airport extreme warranty ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Greysquirrel, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Greysquirrel macrumors member

Greysquirrel

Buying an Airport extreme from a friend who is in financial trouble that was bought around the end of May and it still has around seven months of Hardware warranty left on it. Is this warranty transferrable to me or should I even worry about it? Could I or should I buy an extended warranty on an Airport Extreme?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

AppleCare is transferable, but that may only be on purchased AppleCare. (You'd have to check with Apple on that.) Also, AirPorts get their AppleCare from the Macs. So you'd have to essentially buy a Mac and purchase AppleCare to get it on the Extreme. I just purchased a mini and a Time Capsule and was wondering how to get AC on the Time Capsule. Apple said I have until the 1 year is up to purchase AppleCare on my Mac which would cover an Extreme, Express or Time Capsule.

tl;dr: Apple doesn't sell AppleCare for their networking devices. It's part of Mac's AppleCare.

3. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

So if I have a 1.5 year Airport Extreme and just bought a 2011 MacBook Air, are you saying the Airport Extreme is still covered just because I have a MacBook Air?

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Yes. It's crazy, but that's how apple does it. To get an Aiport/Time Capsule covered, it must have been purchase up to two years prior to the purchase of a Mac.

So to maximize the warranty of an Airport, you would ...

1. Buy the Airport and get a 1 year (perhaps 90 days ... not sure) warranty
    2. In year 2, the Airport is not covered.
    3. Before the end of year 2, buy a Mac and the get coverage for year 3 on the Airport.
    4. If you purchase Applecare for the Mac, you'll get year 4 and 5 covered on the Airport.

Wierd!

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

To the above poster:

That's not how Apple explained it to me over the phone. The person I spoke with said the only way to get AC on AirPorts, is to buy AC within the year of your Mac and that the AirPort must be purchased during that time. I'd assume Apple isn't going to just add AppleCare to a device you've had for over a year just because you purchased a Mac.

6. Greysquirrel thread starter macrumors member

Greysquirrel

Guess I'm SOL, on my first three Macs I bought Apple Care and never used it, on the Mac Mini I bought two years ago I never bothered and have had no problem with it either. Maybe I'm just lucky with what machines I get but so far so good on my latest.