Airport Extreme, WDS and networking problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by titatom, Nov 6, 2011.

1. titatom macrumors regular

Hello all,

I am having some problems with my somewhat bizarre setting...

I have a DSL modem hooked up to a Linksys WRTGL router running Tomato firmware for Single Link PPP (avoiding the Bell throttle). Basically this is what is distributing internet to the 2 macbooks in the house. It is in the living room. This I cannot really change because of the SLPPP and the Bell throttle thing (may they all burn in hell).

I just acquired a PC (a hackintosh actually, but I'm not sure I should say it out loud around here haha) and have it in my room. I also have a 5th Gen Airport Extreme.

I wanted the Airport Extreme to connect wirelessly to mmy network and distribute internet to the PC via Ethernet but it seems that the AE disables the ethernet when it "Connects to a existing network".

I also tried this tutorial for WDS on the Airport Express but the Extreme does not have the "Connect: Airport (WDS)" option.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060609053254368

Does anyone know a way around my problem ? I don't dislike having a long and blue ethernet cable running down the hall to my room, but my sister does hahaha

Thank you for your help,

titatom

2. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

happy holidays

not sure if you found a solution...but.. from what I know the AEBS doesn't support WDS (extended network) as an option..maybe you can hook up the AEBS to the DSL modem, and use the Linksys/tomato with WDS to extend the network.

However, from my memory Tomato doesn't support WDS, you might have to go DD-wrt instead. :(

(I am a tomato firmware user myself btw).

Maybe you or someone can answer a question I have about the AEBS. How does it handle multiple connections/torrents? I've been looking at the AEBS stats, and the 128 MB RAM it includes along with the 16MB Flash Drive, along with all the heatsinks it has make it sound like a nice piece of kit.

I've been having dropouts with my current Buffalo router with Tomato firmware and am considering my options, while isolating the problem.

Thanks!