Airport Extreme weirdness

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I folks, I have an Airport Extreme Base-Station, it's less than 5 years old, and has N support, dual-band, etc. I don't know exactly which model it is, but it'll do 5 ghz, 2.4 ghz, and supports simultaneous N, G, and A. Software version is 7.6.1. I have a Sci-Fi naming convention in my home to help me keep things organized using the analogy. My base-station is named "Starfleet Communications" (for future reference). I have a Drobo named "Sisko" plugged into the USB port.

When I set it up, I also enabled Windows file sharing. I can't recall the details of this, as Apple as since removed the controls from their Airport software (grumble), and I can't go back and check. Intermittently, I'll see an icon in my sidebar on my Mac called "Uhura", which is what I recall naming my Windows file server on the Airport (get it? She translates). When it's up and running and I can see "Uhura", I can click on it, and get an option to mount "Sisko". I get the same options by clicking "Starfleet Communications" in the sidebar. This is good. This means things work.

From a Windows machine, I can access "Uhura" via the Network sidebar, provided it's up and running. The trouble is, I can't seem to divine why or when "Uhura" will be functioning, and I can't access "Starfleet Communications" directly, ever. Sometimes "Uhura" will pop up if my Windows laptop has been on the network for 5 or 10 minutes.

Can anyone explain why "Uhura" isn't always on and working? Or how it suddenly decides to randomly start working? Or how I can make it work more reliably? I'd like to keep my Airport Extreme, it's a great router... but this is a bit inconvenient and I'd really like to make it work more consistently.

Thanks in advance folks, I'd appreciate any input on this!

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Cool naming ideas :) I'm inspired to do similar.
Thanks - it's fun and also extremely useful. It extends to computers and hard drives too, for which I use ship-names and captains. My iMac is NCC-1701, the main HD is Picard. The wife's Macbook is Copernicus, HD Kirk. The best part is how you can branch to other OSes in the analogy using other sci-fi universes, like Star Wars. My Windows laptop is Executor, HD Vader. For Linux, I use Rebel Alliance naming.

drsox

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Just for interest - I use the names of cats for devices that I can assign an IP address to. It helps me to remember the password for accessing their admin screens. Currently I have 20 or so in the network.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Just for interest - I use the names of cats for devices that I can assign an IP address to. It helps me to remember the password for accessing their admin screens. Currently I have 20 or so in the network.
Nice. FWIW, I use an entirely unrelated password scheme. Using PWs based on visible naming schemes makes me.... nervous. :eek:

drsox

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I didn't tell you the whole story.
On each device I have stuck a small pic of the cat (each one is distinctive).
The password is in two parts : <Address of the place where I had the cat><Common pass phrase>
Since only I know the name of the cat, the address is impossible to guess. It's also of variable length.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I didn't tell you the whole story.
On each device I have stuck a small pic of the cat (each one is distinctive).
The password is in two parts : <Address of the place where I had the cat><Common pass phrase>
Since only I know the name of the cat, the address is impossible to guess. It's also of variable length.
Ooooh! Very clever, sir. Very clever indeed!