Airport Extreme WEP problem with Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maccanuck2006, Aug 12, 2007.

1. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

Not sure if I should have asked this in the Windows for Mac section, but here goes anyways.
    I have an Airport Extreme base station set for G access only, with a Macbook CD, Macbook Pro C2D and an iMac G5 in our house. I have set up a 128 bit WEP password with all of our computers set for automatic password login. We are running 10.4.10 on all of our computers.

We have no problems at all accessing the net wirelessly with any of our macs, but I cannot access my wireless network with WinXP SP2 using bootcamp 1.4

When in Windows I can see my wireless network and am prompted for my WEP password, but Windows never accepts it.

Keychain access utility in OS X confirms my WEP password as I typed it; what gives?

I can access my network only if I turn the WEP password off, which I would rather not do.

2. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I wish someone would post a solution here. I have the same general problem.

3. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Are you using a 13 character passcode? I know some Apple Airport hardware allows non-standard password lengths and characters. For example if I setup the password on an Airport extreme to be "home01" that password will not work in Windows, but it will on OS X. If I set it to a hex password that is 13 characthers in length (0-9, a-f) it works fine with Windows. Try that first.

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yes, I chose a 13 character passcode.

5. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

When in Airport Utility (5.2.2) , log into a router, and select "Base Station" from the Menu Bar, and near the bottom you will see "Equivalent Network Password" Click this and try the shown password in Windows.

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Thanks, but I tried that already and that doesn't work either :confused:

7. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Sounds like you gotta call your local high schooler to fix it ;-)

8. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

That would only work if the students know more than their teacher :p

9. hooksster macrumors newbie

ive had the same problem as you for a very long time, ive given up trying to figure it out. so if anyone can figure this out it would be amazing.

10. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I called Microsoft but they wanted to charge $59 for tech support so I said "No thanks" and decided to figure it out myself.

Not sure if this will help you but this is my experience and solution that worked for me.

I'm running Vista with bootcamp. My wireless (Airport Extreme) network is recognized but with limited access. So, I'm not able to connect to the internet through a wireless connection. I inserted the proper WEP key and even tried the passcode to no avail. Results were the same . . . limited access. So, I connected an ethernet cable from one of the Airport Extreme base station ports directly to my iMac and Voila! I was finally able to connect to the internet through Windows Vista. ;)

This is the same solution that worked with my X Box 360 Elite. YES . . . another Microsoft product. LOL
    Funny how everything (Wii, PS 3, PSP, DS, iBook, iMac, iPhone) plays nicely with my Airport Extreme wireless network except the Microsoft products. With them I had to use a work-around solution . . . go figure . . . or not :p