Airport Extreme: What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmy8, May 17, 2007.

1. jimmy8 macrumors newbie

Here's the deal. I am getting cable internet hooked up next week (don't know what model cable modem yet). I have an HP laptop through work and my wife has a Gateway laptop through her work. As soon as the new MBP's get released we are ordering one for the house. I am planning on ordering the new Airport Extreme today for our router so all the laptops have wireless. Is there anything else I need to get to make everything work? Thanks! I love this forum!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Assuming the laptops all have a wireless card (and the MacBook will), then you'll be right with that setup. Welcome to Macs. :)

3. itsme92 Guest

I think that the Airport routers require at least 1 mac in the house so you can configure the settings on it. In other words, PC's can recieve wireless signal from an Airport, but they can't change the router's settings (enable WEP/WPA, etc)

So you may want to hold off on wireless until you buy your MBP or you may want to buy another brand of router.

4. jimmy8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to getting a new MBP, hopefully next week if the rumors are true... Haven't owned a MAC since the Macintosh Plus back in the mid 80's, so it's been a while.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. You'll love OSX and feel free to ask us about anything that comes up. I find it's a more intuitive system so if I don't know how something works I usually just think to myself "how should this work". :)

6. jimmy8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my Airport Extreme yesterday and hooked it up last night. The installation was a breeze. Apple makes it so easy, and I was hooking it up to my HP laptop! Can't wait to try it with a new MBP. By far the best router I have ever owned or used. Looks elegant, easy to use and setup, and is lightning quick, and I wasn't even running it on N, I was running it on the a/b/g. Can't wait to see how this baby flys at 5ghz on N only. Hooked my printer up also, which was also a breeze. Nice being able to print sitting on the sofa in the living room, and going to the den later and seeing the print out there. Anyway, enough rambling, just wanted to let everyone one know this is one darn fine product and definately worth the extra money!

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew