Airport Extreme + WiFi-B Router + XP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by godslabrat, Sep 1, 2008.

1. godslabrat macrumors 6502

Hi All

The subject line describes my father's setup. He's got a basic XP desktop tower which he uses to run iTunes, and in another section of the house he has his stereo receiver. Somewhere in the house we have an old Wireless B router and think it would at least be adequate to stream 4MB mp3s across the house. I'm thinking of getting him an Airport Extreme for a gift... do you think there's any reason this setup wouldn't work reasonably well?

2. antmo macrumors member

i tried using an 802.11b wifi router with an airport express and found it was barely usable... i had 2-3 second audio dropouts from time to time, even with the itunes buffer set to large... i think that if your compressed audio is at most 128k/bits and the b router is doing nothing else except receiving audio for that one source, then it should work ok. i'd highly recommend at least 802.11g for this task...but since you already have the b router, give it a shot! personally, i'd just pop for an airport express n with the airport extreme so you can happily enjoy any quality audio you prefer to throw across your unwired network.

mjb