Airport Extreme wifi issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brentg33, Jun 23, 2013.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all, i have a 5th generation APE (not the brand new one, last years model) I use openDNS. I have my iMac connected via ethernet. And as you can see by the Airport utility screen shot, it is showing my DNS as openDNS addresses. However, when i use the iOS airport utility, it is showing the DNS as the same as the router (see other screen shots) We have two iphones and 1 ipad who can really no longer connect. Either it takes for ever to connect to my network, and it might work for a minute, but then it either disconnects or stays connected, but sites wont load, etc. I do run mountain lion server, though i do have DNS turned off. I tried entering either openDNS or google's DNS (8.8.8.8) manually into all the iOS devices, but no luck. I did power down the APE, didnt seem to help. did not cycle the modem, but like it said, the imac has no issues.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Attached Files:

2. darster Suspended

That is strange. All my ios devices show the proper DNS server when using the AEBS app.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so darster,

you have 8.8.8.8 set on your AEBS and when you use the iOS utility, it shows 8.8.8.8? That what i thought it should be doing. I have no idea who to change it back. It just starting happening this weekend, prior to that it was working fine. not sure if it showed opendns before...but either way it was working. Now we can maybe bring up one or two sites before it stalls and eventually disconnects or just keeps trying to load. Seems like a DNS problem to me.

4. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm wondering if my AEBS is going/gone bad. Has anyone had a defective or dying ABES that had the same symptoms?

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i ended up calling Apple last night. After about 2 hours, nothing really seemed to fix the issue. Turns out the AEBS is still covered, so they are sending out a new one.

--However, does anyone have any experience with OS X server for Mountain Lion? I have it installed, and have played around with it. I did have DNS switched on for little while in the past. However ,the turning that off timing doesnt match these issues.
    Does anyone think that server could potentally be effecting my router?
    Also, has anyone found a real way to properly uninstall server in Mountain lion?

thanks

6. darster Suspended

Yes, it show 8.8.8.8 in the utility.