Airport Extreme Wifi Problem (IP address error when using DHCP)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dimlocator, May 5, 2008.

1. dimlocator macrumors newbie

My new provider installed cable modem & router. From the new router I connected an ethernet cable to my airport extreme base station (which had worked fine with the old set up, connected to another modem) An ethernet cable from the base station to the mac (OS X 10.5.2) works fine, so the connection is ok.

But: Wirelessly the base station doesn't work. I've tried resetting etc, but I can't solve the problem indicated by a flashing amber light & this error message: "Your Apple wireless device does not have a valid IP address. Make sure your Apple wireless device is connected to your broadband modem, verify your settings.." I set it to use DHCP, which I though assigned IP addresses automatically, so why do I need to set fiddle with this? Do I need to assign an IP address manually (if so how do I obtain it?).

Help! I am a non techie, & use mac because I thought it was hassle-free!

TIA

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm

Is your airport express setup via DHCP?

Is it creating a network via dhcp as well?

Have you tried resetting the router?

3. firtree macrumors newbie

Airport Express Wifi Problem (IP address error when using DHCP)

Hi

I'm getting the same problem with Airport Express.

1. Unplug the old Gigabyte router which is working OK
    2. Connect the cable modem to the Airport Express and plug it in
    3. Start AirPort Utility
    4. "Your Apple wireless device does not have a valid IP address"

Anyone got any good tips?

Thanks

4. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Mine used to work until I got new furniture and moved everything around. I was able to set up a ethernet connection for my mac but can't get the wireless to start up again. I wish I took a picture of all the previous settings before I changed/cleaned everything. At least I have no more dust bunnies.

5. imajedi macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. I just switched to Time Warner Cable internet service in Brooklyn and my old setup will not work at all...

6. dimlocator thread starter macrumors newbie

these things have a life of their own...

I followed the advice of a helpful poster & got rid of the cable company router. In other words, the airport is now the router connected to the cable modem). At first, it seemed that the problem continued (no wifi, ok connection via ethernet). Then I switched everything off (cable modem, airport, mac...) & left it off for a few hours (& went for a beer). I came back (refreshed), switched everything on... & after a booting sequence, it all now works.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Not to be a jerk, but duh. You can't plug a router into a router without turning one into a switch or simple access point.