AirPort Extreme, Windows configurability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by justinhu8, May 24, 2014.

1. justinhu8, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

justinhu8 macrumors regular

I am looking for a new router for our household. I am considering a Refurbished Airport Extreme from :apple:'s refurb store. (Getting good routers here in NZ can be a pain in the rear end). I'm just wondering if it can be configured with a Windows PC. Does anyone have any experiences with running it on Windows and the routers reliability.

I would also appreciate any mention of another router which I can pick up in NZ

2. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Last year I bought an Refurbished Apple Express from the Apple Store and my Dell Laptop PC readily connect to this router.

3. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I just picked up a new AE and it connects to my 3 Windows computers. 2 Toshiba laptops and one custom built desktop. They are running Win XP and Win 7. I spent a few minutes setting up the SSID, password, and channels on my MBA and then all the Windows computers connected to the AE just like any other router.

4. justinhu8 thread starter macrumors regular

What's your experience with its configurability on Windows?

5. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I just downloaded the Airport Utility app for Win 7 and it works exactly like my Mac. The interface is slightly different but not much at all. I could have easily set up the AE on one of my Windows computers.

6. justinhu8 thread starter macrumors regular

Does it work with the 2013 models? I heard they dont

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What sort of Internet connection do you have? The AirPorts are not compatible* with VDSL or UFB, only ADSL.

*You can make them work but you'll need to piggyback off a separate router.

8. justinhu8 thread starter macrumors regular

adsl

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does not. Apple never updated the Windows version of Airport Utility to support the new version (tower shaped) Airport models.

If you can get access to a Mac or iOS device to set it up with Airport Utility there, then it would work fine under Windows... you just would not be able to change any settings