Airport extreme wired AND wireless at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TwoBytes, Oct 3, 2010.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Very sorry for this newbie question. Can i have it wired to my computer and wireless at the same time?

If so, what ports to i plug what into?

Is it - modem-wan port on extreme and a cable going wired from the ether port on the extreme to the iMac?
    Do i need to do any configuring?

Thanks!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yes you can. The AEBS has 4 ethernet ports. One is used for the WAN/modem and the other three are gigabit LAN ports. Connect the iMac to one of the three LAN ports. Typically, there's no configuring necessary, aside from the initial AEBS setup.

3. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Wait, I just re-read your original question. Let me ask this ...

By wired [bold]and[/bold] wireless, do you mean separate computers or the same one. My reply was assuming that you wanted the iMac on a wired connection via ethernet plus other computers connected via wifi.

I think on some PCs, you can connect both wired and wifi simultaneously and get faster speeds??? Not sure if Macs can do that.

I just wanted to clarify that before you go out and buy stuff.

ft

5. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Yes, one mac. Thanks for checking up comrade! :)

Interesting to hear how a pc would use both wireless and wired for a faster connection...I would have thought a mac could do it but this is the first I heard of such feats.

Anyone do this with a Mac?

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You know, I thought about this some more and I think it boiled down to wanting to connect to two different networks, one wifi - one wired, simultaneously. In other words, perhaps your wifi network has the printers and network hard drives, but the wired network has the internet. If you could connect to both networks, then you'd have both.

In your case (which I was misunderstanding), it wouldn't matter since both the wifi and wired were on the same network.

Anyways, I did some quick searching, and it seems that it doesn't work, either PC or Mac. And it would yield faster speeds either.

Oh well.