Airport Extreme Wireless connection issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chr1s60, Aug 4, 2009.

1. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

So, Comcast came out today and set up my new cable modem. When hooked directly from the modem into my MBP, there is no issue. However when setting up a wireless connection with my Airport Extreme, I have had horrible luck. I set up the network and it said it worked and the base station shows green. If I run an ethernet cable from my extreme to my MBP, it works fine, but if I unplug my ethernet and try to connect over wifi, it shows connected, but I get no real internet. The signal strength over wifi is really weak too. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this? I have tried resetting the base station twice now and I continue to get the same result.

Something else I can't figure out is why all of a sudden I need to enter an administrator password before connecting to a network or turning airport on or off. I am the only account on this computer and I have never had to do that before today.

If someone has had this issue or knows an easy fix, please help. Thank you in advance!!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It sounds like something is wrong with your MBP. You may want to have it looked at in an Apple store.

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

I had a very similar issue with connecting a Time Capsule to a modem (so I'm not sure whether my solution is applicable to Airport Extreme - but here's hoping). What worked for me was selecting Bridge Mode under Internet > Connection Sharing. See pic.. Once done, switch off both devices, then on again, your modem first.

Attached Files:

4. chr1s60 thread starter macrumors 68000

chr1s60

My MBP connects fine with other networks, the issue is just with the network I am trying to set up at my house.

5. chr1s60 thread starter macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Thanks, I tried this but had no luck. Any other suggestions?