Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobro03

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
We've been having issues where our older NetGear router just started having problems with our wireless laptop and iPad. The main MacPro uses an ethernet cord and connects fine with normal speed, but the wireless devices are extremely slow and sometimes don't work at all even though the devices show they are getting a strong wireless connection.

I just went out and bought a new Airport Extreme. Hooked it up and the Mac Pro is fine but the wireless devices see the wireless network but are extremely slow and sometimes don't see the 'server' and don't work at all. If I set the wireless devices to the 'guest' network they work fine! The speed seems to be fine as well. The password is correct on the wireless network.

What am I doing wrong with the AE? I need the laptop to see my MacPro so I can share files etc. so I need them all on the same network. My old NetGear just did this automatically.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I hate to give you IT 101 advice, but that worked for me when I had a similar issue - I factory reset my Airport (Google for directions) and removed all saved wireless networks from all my machines. I then chose a new name for the network, re-added devices and everything was fine.

dobro03

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
I hate to give you IT 101 advice, but that worked for me when I had a similar issue - I factory reset my Airport (Google for directions) and removed all saved wireless networks from all my machines. I then chose a new name for the network, re-added devices and everything was fine.

I'm happy to try anything. I'll give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.