Airport Extreme - Wireless Printing Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Garand, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Garand macrumors member

Just purchased an Airport extreme - love the wireless boost for all computers but can not get the wireless epson printer to printer. Current set up

Cable modem to Airport Extreme - hardwired to house PC. Wireless to Imac, G5 mac, xbox 360, ipad - all works with excellent signal and speed.

Printer located on 2nd floor by Mac G5 and printed via wireless before airport extreme and will not print. There is no way we can set up the air port at the G5 with the printer or move the printer to airport extreme. Does the printer have to be USB connected to work - we just want to transmit to the wireless printer with no connection.

Thanks.

2. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem when I was trying to configure my HP J6480 printer to my wireless network. I was in no position to move my printer next to my base station and I didn't have the cable needed to reach the base station.

I believe the only way around is to get the printer to join the wireless network -- either by using the printer keypad or a temporary USB connection to a Mac and using the printer software to configure the printer for the wireless network. The first method worked for me but the downside is that my Airport Extreme doesn't recognize my printer in the Airport Utility.