Airport Extreme Wireless Router Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm thinking about purchasing the airport extreme! I was just wondering what it's like for online gaming on the PS3? I currently have a draytek vigor router with 3 aerial ports!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My friend has AirPort Express and he uses it with PS3 without any problems so Extreme should be even better! Are you sure Express won't be enough for you? Extreme offers better performance and longer range but you won't benefit from them unless you have very fast connection or big house/lots of walls.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Airport Express is NO router! It is an access point. LAN on one side, W-LAN on the other. Extending an existing wireless network is also possible, requires a WDS enabled router though.

So in short, the Express can't replace a router since it simply doesn't have router functionality.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How can my friend use it as router then? His modem has no Wi-Fi and only one LAN port which is used by AirPort Express. This thread also states it as a router. Please educate me little more why it ain't a router

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Sorry, but this is simply incorrect. The AirPort Express IS a router.

Proof: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/sharing.html

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That site is about internet sharing, which requires a working internet connection first. The Express itself can't build up that connection, which a router and hence the Airport Extreme can.

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Cheers Helhammer! I think I'll pick up the extreme because I have some interference between the office and the lounge where the PS3 is with my Internet connection I struggle to pickup good signal for some reason! I have the draytek and it has 3 aerials and usually had a good reputation as a router

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ummh... No. Modem makes the internet connection to work, AirPort Express and Extreme just makes it wireless, nothing more.

Same instructions for both, Express and Extreme. Unless you have something to proof your statement, you're wrong.

Okay. I was just wondering if Express would do it for you but get the Extreme so you don't have to worry about bad signal etc.

Oh, btw, did you hear about the MW2 map pack? It's coming on 30th but only for X360 but at least we'll is it worth it when it comes for PS3!

Cheers mate

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You clearly have a very weak understanding of how routers and modems work. Please educate yourself before spouting misinformation.

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Nooo idea whatsoever! :rolleyes:

However, I always thought that the Airport Extreme has an integrated modem, which it apparently does not. :eek:
    I stand corrected.

11. lefooey macrumors member

I am currently using an Aiport Extreme Dual with a launch day PS3 and it works exceptionally well. As a matter of fact, it works significantly better than the 4 year old D-Link it replaced.

If configured correctly (default in most cases on Airport), the PS3 will report NAT Type 2, which works for everything I've thrown at it so far.

A big plus on the dual is I can reserve the 2.4ghz network for my iPhone and PS3 and have the 5ghz network for my Macbook.

12. animatedude macrumors 65816

OK i have a 5 years old speed touch DSL modem,it's not wireless,will Airport Exxtreme make it wireless or should i buy a wireless modem first? :eek:

13. '73-B macrumors regular

The Airport Express can serve up to 10 DHCP clients when configured as a router. I don't know why one would say it is not a router. It can also be configured as a bridge sharing a wireless connection over the ethernet port.

You can't go wrong with either. I have an Airport Extreme because I have more than 10 wireless clients. I also have an Airport Express in bridge mode. The express connects wirelessly to the Airport Extreme and shares the internet connect through the ethernet port. I have my PS3 connected via ethernet to the Airport Express. It's a fast connection, fast enough to stream HD recordings from my mac mini to the Express.