Airport Extreme & Wireless Wake on Demand

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shlauncha, Jun 1, 2011.

1. shlauncha macrumors member

So I recently upgraded my router to the Airport Extreme, based on the information that it supported Wireless Wake On Demand. I would like to be able to wake my computer from sleep over the internet or iphone. (from outside the network)

Can anybody shed some light on if this is actually possible, and if so how I could go about setting it up? I've spent countless hours tying to figure it out to no avail. :confused:

Thank you much

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's more something your PC has to support. I've never seen WiFi wakeup but most wired cards support a magic packet.

3. shlauncha thread starter macrumors member

I have a recent iMac(1 generation old) and I am hooked up to an Airport Extreme. According to Apple, it should be possible:

I Just can't figure out the configuration, or, if I have to be on the network to wake it.

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

It's in Energy Saver preferences. See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

5. shlauncha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Yeah, I've read all that and enabled it, I just can't figure out how to wake my computer from outside of the network. LogMeIn wont wake the computer so I am trying to find some alternative method. Theoretically its possible, I just can't figure out how.

6. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

I take it LogMeIn is some kind of iPhone app? If so, does it have to have a client installed on Mac? For wake on wireless to work, I'm fairly sure the service on the Mac needs to be registered on Bonjour. I've obviously no idea whether this applies to your situation, or whether any client software already registers itself on Bonjour, but this link might be helpful for you this turns out to be relevant to you:

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-expand-wake-on-demand-support-under-os-x-10-6/

7. shlauncha thread starter macrumors member

8. macnmotion macrumors newbie

did you ever figure this out?

I have an iMac and mac laptop, both with wireless wakeup capability turned on. they are both connected to the Internet wirelessly through my brand new Airport Extreme with updated firmware. I can use a free ipad app to wake the machines from within my own network, but I can't get it to work outside the network. I can't find any specific steps outlined anywhere.

Can anyone list the specific steps/software on my iPad that will make this work from outside my network?

Thanks.