Airport extreme with a D-link range extender

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eckndu, Oct 25, 2011.

1. eckndu macrumors member

it seems airport utility can not control what's coming in/out of the range extender.
    the extender is probably
    D-Link DAP-1360
    im not even sure as it is so hard to access it physically.

for instance if one mac address is connected via extender, i can not see that name in airport utility' DHCP list. and if I block one particular MAC address from connecting to the wifi, the range extender would still accept the client...

and the extender, as far as i know, can only be configured when physically wired to the pc, which is hard to do every time i need to modify the access control.

is there something im not seeing, a walk around/?, thx

2. eckndu thread starter macrumors member

the range extender is in fact DAP1360

I set the airport to allow this network to be extended.
    in the d link, i can set the wireless mode to one of these:
    access point
    bridge
    bridge with access point
    repeater
    WISP repeater
    ... amount others.

right now it's in repeater mode. but (im not 100% sure, since its really hard to test) those connected via the extender are not shown in airport utility's DHCP clients list. Consequently if one MAC client was connected to the airport, and I use access control to limit its access, he can just move further and connect to the extender and he can again have access to the internet.

a setup I used to have had a dlink router as the only DHCP router, and is connect via ethernet to an airport and I use the latter as a wireless bridge(not sure about this word). i could see all thats connected to airport's wifi in dlink's clients' list. that's exactly what i want now, help~~ god i hope im making sense, or at least someone's reading all these