Airport Extreme with AT&T U-Verse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HotRodGuy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. HotRodGuy, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

HotRodGuy macrumors regular

I've done a bunch of searching on the net, and can't find any clear answers (although I know it's probably been discussed).

I have not been happy with the connectivity issues using AT&T's supplied 2wire, and I am hoping the AE will solve this (as well as allowing me to run an external and printer).

I need a clear answer on what to do to mate the 2wire and the AE

I think I need to do the follow:

- Turn off wireless on the 2 wire
    - put AE in bridge mode (do I put the AE in bride mode or the 2wire; I'd like the AE to do all the networking/internet work)

If anyone has dealt with this could you give me details please?

2. PrestonWard macrumors member

i have the exact same set up. Turn off wireless on the 2 wire and out the ae in bridge mode and that should work. I had to do some tweaking to get back to mac to work but it was pretty simple.

3. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, is it pretty simple to change this stuff on the 2 wire?

what exactly is bridge mode?

4. PrestonWard macrumors member

the ae will detect it is connected to another router and should automatically go to the right settings. You will need the device access code fro the 2 wire it is written on the bottom. Bridge mode lets the 2 wire assign ips out and the ae to not assign ips out. if you want to use back to mac you have to set up the ae differently.

5. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I have a similar setup, but kinda reversed because I want the AEBS to do the routing, not the 2Wire.

I put my 2Wire into what they call "DMZplus" mode. Unlike some other routers it doesn't have a "modem only" setting, although this kinda functions like that. The idea is to pass everything through to the AEBS; the DMZ setting means all the ports are open EXCEPT ones that you specifically assign to certain addresses/applications.

I turned the wifi on the 2Wire off. I let it set 192.x.x.x addresses, one of which goes to the AEBS.

I then set my AEBS up like a regular ol' Apple router. It does my firewall work, port forwarding, wifi, etc etc. You have to let it assign IP addresses in a different range than the 2Wire, so I use 10.x.x.x.

I have one computer I periodically attach via ethernet to the 2Wire, which remains pretty open to the internet, and outside my 10.x.x.x LAN. And I have some static IPs I have to deal with. But it works well. I had a prior iteration of a 2Wire that I used for routing and wifi, and it was a PITA, hence my desire to use the AEBS for that.

Rob

7. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

Just curious to why you dislike the 2Wire, are you having DC issues?

8. almonde macrumors regular

9. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

coverage and disconnect issues, drives me ***** bonkers

----------

in dumbed down terms a little bit, can you explain why this is better?

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

To the original poster:

I also have a Uverse 2-Wire residential gateway, and have disabled the wireless on it.

To disable the 2-Wire's wireless, bring up the residential gateway's main page:
    http://192.168.1.254/

Then, click:
    http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1
    (this URL works on my iteration of the 2-Wire, it may not work on yours - try this for "direct access" to the gateway's wireless setup page)

Now, choose to disable the wireless in these popup menus:
    - Wireless interface
    - Wi-Fi Protected setup
    - SSID Broadcast

Then click "save" at the bottom of the page.

IMPORTANT:
    You will need your gateway's password to confirm the changes.

I'll check how I set up the Airport Extreme, and get back...

11. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

12. Fishrrman macrumors G4

How to configure the Airport Extreme in Bridge mode:

Following are pages I used to get my AE working in conjunction with my Uverse 2-Wire gateway:

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-setup-an-airport-extreme-in-bridge-mode/
    (perhaps the most useful link, may be all you need)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25840392-airport-extreme-bridge-mode-guest-connect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsmdDK66wI4

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/97

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1100

Again, the first link may be all you need to get up and running.

13. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I prefer to use the AEBS routing functions. It just seems to integrate more easily with my stuff, and although the newer 2Wire I got from ATT seems better than my former one, I'd rather use the AEBS. If I wanted just a better wifi access point downstream from the 2Wire I would have probably bought something cheaper. Also, Back to My Mac and other stuff works pretty flawlessly, and although I could probably configure the 2Wire to do that it's just easier with the AEBS.

I also don't run into any problems based on whatever Uverse happens to do with the 2Wire since all it does is send everything to the AEBS. I've found the AEBS to be far more reliable, but YMMV.

Rob

14. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

any chance any of this is going to mess up my TV viewing? I know it's a long shot and probably a dumb question.

and thanks for the response Rob

15. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

so, I turned off wireless and put the 2wire in DMZplus

I have the AEx set up as DHCP and NAT, is this good?

Everything is working sort of. Our MBP and MBA are showing wireless speeds about 3-4 mbps faster then we use to see. However both our iphones and ipads are slower (weird).

For some reason when messing around with the external harddrive (playing movies from it) the whole system shuts down and I have to reset the AEx

16. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I have the AEx set up as DHCP and NAT, is this good?"

I think you want to have NAT turned OFF on the Airport Extreme, because it is already enabled on the 2-Wire.

Although it can work, I've heard there are less problems if you just have NAT enabled on your router ONLY. (Note: the 2-Wire is a router as well as a modem/gateway).

17. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

18. HotRodGuy thread starter macrumors regular

trying to set it up as DHCP only and not DHCP AND NAT

when I try I get this error

"Sharing a range of IP addresses using DHCP Only requires manually configuring your WAN IP address. If your ISP gives you a range of static IP addresses, you should manually configure your base station with the first IP address and distribute the rest via DHCP."

what do I need to do?

19. almonde macrumors regular

Please just follow the guide i gave earlier, its the cleanest setup you can get without being able to put the AT&T RG into bridge mode. Make sure TV related devices remained plugged in RG notr the airport.

EDIT: I've pasted the instructions form the link below:

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

20. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Almost a year old bump, but I found this in a search through Google and wanted to say thanks! I just scheduled an install for U-Verse as an upgrade from standard 5 mbps DSL. I was able to put that modem in bridge mode (before it died and I bought a plain modem.) I am bookmarking this so I can come here and set this up after the install guy leaves. I have some port forwarding already setup and working properly for some wifi cameras and don't want to have to reconfigure those.