Airport Extreme with external HDD use for TM Back-ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by APPLE-FANATIC, Aug 4, 2012.

1. APPLE-FANATIC macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

Hi,

If I have a Airport Extreme and a USB HDD attached, does it not allow Time Machine to do buck-ups? I of course can view the content of the drive, but when adding it as a second TM back-up it gives me an error msg about the "/volume":(

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've been using an external USB HDD with my Airport Extreme base station without problem for years. It isn't supported by Apple, but it should work.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You can try, but not reliable.

Doing it manually so you can monitor it helps. But you could back up using something besides TM. I just use a drive attached to the AEBS for archiving media, and just do Finder copies.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

What does the message say? Could it be formatted in another file system than HFS?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is not supported by Apple. Might work might not.

See this KB note from Apple. Also below screenshot from Mountain Lion help.

[​IMG]

6. hafr macrumors 68030

I understand you're just looking out for people, but why spread information you KNOW is a lie?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This solution is not supported by Apple. That is a fact.

It works sometimes... it does not work sometimes. We just went through this in another thread. Neither of us has any idea why it does not work sometimes and anything either of us says about why this is is just speculation.

I'm not going to rehash this with you again.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Another fact is that Apple is lying when they say it's impossible, because it's just as easy to set up as any of the supported options. So when you're spreading that picture, you're spreading what you know to be a lie.

It works in a clear majority of the times, and it doesn't "doesn't work" more often with AEBS than with any of the supported solutions.

Then why not just say it's not supported and that you recommend another, supported solution (such as buying a router from another manufacturer or connect an ethernet drive to the AEBS)? It's a lot better, and honest, than to spread lies.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Yes. The truth is worth a "facepalm". Lying and intentionally spreading false information is awesome. You're absolutely right, what was I thinking...

/irony

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You seem upset. :p

12. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm not the least bit upset, I'm not even mildly annoyed. I am, on the other hand, rather surprised that someone would knowingly and willingly spread false information on a forum where people are asking for help

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Maybe you would get more satisfaction directing your um... energy... towards Apple if you think they should support this backup solution.

The fact is, they don't. No reason for you to take it so personal.

I'm not on a crusade or anything here. All I am saying is this solution is not supported by Apple, and if it won't work for you don't expect Apple to help.

At any rate. Enjoy your day. :)