Airport Extreme with shared disk and two users on same mac issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by germanjulian, Jul 8, 2012.

1. germanjulian macrumors regular

Hi,

just got my airport extreme + a 1TB hard drive for disk sharing and everything worked great until my wife came home (not her fault :p)

My setup: I have 1 mac which we both share with two user accounts plus I have a Windows 7 machine. I setup the Airport Extreme drive sharing with 'accounts' as I thought/know this will work with Windows (smb I think) which it sure enough did and I could connect to my share from both my Windows machine and my macbook air and was rather pleased how easy it was.
    My wife then came home logged on and she could see the drive and even see the root folder in Finder but saw no files whatsoever and instead of the 'sharing icon' (not sure what to call it looks like a hard disk with wifi signals) she gets a circle with a red bar in it in the finder title... so I disconnected the shared disk in finder and reconnected entering the account details again and things worked for her. I then signed into my account and now I had the same issue... I could see disk but see nothing on it which means I have to disconnect and reconnect etc. etc.

I even setup two seperate accounts now in the AirPort Utility for disk sharing and use one for my account and one for my wifes but the issue remains, by the way no issue on the Windows 7 box.

HELP :confused: the whole reason why I got this is so we can share our pictures and videos etc. on 2 machines and 2 computers with 2 accounts.

2. germanjulian thread starter macrumors regular

dont use fast user switching seems to be the only fix... so every time we we have to log off and on :(

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Consider putting the drive in a NAS enclosure. Synology makes some nice ones.