Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I know in the passed Apple released a firmware update for the Airport Extreme which enabled it to be used with Time machine. I want to know if this is still possible or has Apple released another firmware fixing this capability. Thanks.

malolans

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
How are you doing this? My drive isnt recognized by time machine.

you have to set it up using the airport utility. Also you need to start a new time machine backup. Existing backups through USB or Firewire will not work

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
you have to set it up using the airport utility. Also you need to start a new time machine backup. Existing backups through USB or Firewire will not work

There's a great thread on here somewhere about wireless time machine backups using the Ariport Extreme that was instrumental in getting mine set up.

The most important trick for me was to open a file on the backup drive with the computer that will use it for backups. Then, while any file is open in finder, use the Time Machine Preferences menu to select the drive. I think since there is a finder window open, the Time Machine program was able to "see" the drive plugged into the Airport Extreme.

Good luck to you! I got mine set up and was immediately given a 500 GB Time Capsule. I was able to re-purpose my 1TB drive for media and not just time machine backups.

EDIT: Here's the link to that thread I mentioned: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/457214/

Post #165 (the quoted portion) is what got me sorted. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.