Airport Extreme with USB hub?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcgnu, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jcgnu macrumors regular

Hey all...

I just bought an Airport Extreme and would like to know if I could plug in a USB hub so that I can connect both my printer and an external HD.

The problem it has is that it only supports one of the two since it only has one USB port.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yep. Mine works with both a printer and USB drive through a hub.

3. jcgnu thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks a lot... Then I'm happy I didn't spend 400 dollars (well, 4,000 pesos :D) on the same model of printer but with an Ethernet port...

4. deboni macrumors member

deboni

Another related question

I, too, have a hub on my Time Capsule, with a printer and a disk drive attached to it, and it works.

But I have another question. I have an old scanner, an HP Scanjet 3500c, and I just discovered that it does not work with my new iMac (three weeks old). When I plug it in, it causes my mouse/cursor to get really crazy. Restarting does not help; reinstalling HP software does not help, either. However, it works fine on my old PowerBook G4, which is running 10.5.3, same as the iMac. The only other things plugged into the iMac are two keyboards, two mice, and an external Time Machine target disk drive.

I used to plug the scanner into a hub, but it was totally unresponsive to that configuration on my new machine. So I wonder...

1) Anyone else had any similar problems with old USB devices on new Macs?

2) If it's a current draw issue, and the hub I was using couldn't cut it, what's a good hub to buy to alleviate the issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

5. jcgnu thread starter macrumors regular

Well I really haven't had any problems with my Mac since I don't plug in many stuff to it... Anyway, it seems to me that there is a problem with your hardware's driver. I believe that the driver you installed is not supported by your new iMac. I would try searching for a new one on the manufacturer's website or google. If you can't find any updated driver, I don't think there's pretty much anything you can do.

Anyway, I'm not sure that's the problem, it might be something else, but who knows...