Airport Extreme with Verizon Fios

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfribush, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jfribush macrumors newbie

I know this topic has been discussed on here, but I'm looking for an answer in layman's terms.

I currently have an Actiontec router from Verizon Fios. I run my wireless internet, as well as my cable tv, through this router.

I purchased an Airport Extreme with the hopes of connecting my external hard drive, allowing access to it wirelessly for my Macbook Air, iPad2, etc.

When I set it up last night, my Macbook Air recognized both networks (the Actiontec router and the Airport Extreme basestation), but it did not allow me to access the external hard drive and use the internet at the same time. In essence, I could use one or the other. Obviously, this is not what I had in mind.

My setup: coax cable into Actiontec Verizon router. Ethernet cable from Actiontec Verizon router to Airport Extreme. External hard drive connected via USB to Airport Extreme.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

When you set up the Extreme, did you choose to join a current network or create a new one?

3. andymodem macrumors 6502a

Log in to the ActionTec router and turn off the wireless radio on it. No sense having that broadcast a WiFi signal if you are using the Airport Extreme.

4. jfribush thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both ways.

5. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

You have the exact same set up as me. I've been looking for some answers/options as well but here's what I have read so far...

The way you're set up now, Airport is acting as a second network and assigning IP addresses to any device connected to it. I think you want to go into your Airport utility and make Airport a "bridge". Then, it just passes the settings on from the Actiontec.

Now, I've also heard of people calling FiOS and getting a special set up where you don't have an Actiontec and you get wired with Cat 5 which allows you to use only your Airport Extreme.

Sorry there isn't a lot of new info in my post, I'm just hoping to get some answers and options to optimize my connection as well.

6. jfribush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'll try that. How do I log in to the ActionTec router... through the Airport Utility?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Airport utility is only for Airport (Apple) devices. To login to Actiontech devices you put 192.168.0.1 into your browser's address bar. The password/username is probably not set, but if it is you could try admin/password or admin/admin.

8. safelder macrumors member

Do this (and follow the earlier advice to turn off the wireless in the Actiontec). It will cause the Actiontec to serve IP addresses, with the Airport Extreme (which will need to be wired into your Actiontec router) functioning as nothing more than an access point.

9. jfribush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was able to disable the wireless radio, but now I am still unable to get wireless internet through the airport extreme. Do I need to set it up as a new wireless device, a bridge, or joining an existing?

10. BreakGuy, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

If the Fios is already handling DHCP, which I believe it would be, simply get the Extreme to Bridge mode, creating a new wireless network in the process.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I agree, that should work fine. It is very important that there be only one DHCP server on the network. I choose to let the Actiontec handle that.

FWIW I usually cheat a bit and initially connect the FiOS router to one of the LAN ports on the Airport instead of the WAN port.

B

12. halfkimchi macrumors newbie

FIOS router setup

There is a way to use your own router rather than the Verizon crappy Actiontec router. Call verizon and have them activate the Network port for the ONT and then request a tech to come out and run a CAT 5 cable to your router. Once that happens call verizon fios internet support and have them release your DHCP release and generate a new DHCP lease. While this is happening turn off and disconnect the fios actiontec router. Once the verizon fios internet support says this is successful you should obtain an ip address. Keep in mind could take some time per Verizon (15-30mins). If you have TV services with fios then the widgets, Video on Demand and pay per view will not be available.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

YMMV. Each region within Verizon does things differently.

If the Apple routers supported MAC address cloning/spoofing it would be trivial, but they don't.

In my last house my FiOS was internet only over Cat5 and I was able to use my Airport Extreme for a short while when my Actiontec died. They helped me transition as you described, but only after escalating it to folks who knew what they were doing. They warned me that this configuration was unsupported and there was a risk my service would get intermittently suspended or throttled due to the non-Actiontec configuration by folks who didn't actually know what they were doing. (Due to the non-VZ MAC). Wasn't worth the risk IMHO.

B

14. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

FWIW, I have had FiOS internet-only for something like 4+ years, and it has always been a CAT5 drop into my house. From that ethernet jack, I have used the original Verizon (D-Link) router, a store-bought D-Link 802.11g router, a Linksys 802.11n, and now an Apple Time Capsule. My internet has never been down due to Verizon or a simple equipment mismatch that I can remember. I have never called verizon to reset anything.

From what I can tell, the trick is to have the PPPoE settings right, and you can put these into any equipment you want. Granted, I do not have to deal with the television connection aspect, but in my region anyway, there is absolutely nothing special about Verizon's box.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW many VZ regions do not use PPPoE, but use DHCP instead. This is why I say YMMV. No PPPoE in either of my two FiOS installs.

We may think of Verizon as one monolithic company, but that is far from the reality.

B

16. andymodem macrumors 6502a

Just to add a couple of points. You can run your own ethernet cable and call Verizon and have them activate the ethernet port in the ONT and break the DHCP. No need to have a tech come out.

If you leave the ActionTec router connected to the coax in the house and plug its WAN interface into a LAN port on your own router you will continue to be able to use Widgets/VOD/PPV.

17. nosillacast macrumors newbie

How to use the Airport Extreme & all it's functionality with Verizon FiOS

There are several threads on this and most suggest letting the Actiontec from Verizon control your network and put the Airport Extreme in bridge mode. We paid a lot for the Airport Extremes and I think most people here would prefer to use them. With the help of Bart Busschots of http://bartb.ie we cracked the code on this. Here's a link to a short tutorial that walks you through:

• Turn off Wireless on the Verizon router
    • Change the IP range that the Verizon router serves out to start at 192.168.1.10
    • Enable the DMZ on the Verizon router and set it to 192.168.1.2
    • Set the Airport Extreme to static IP and assign it to 192.168.1.2

http://www.podfeet.com/blog/how-to-...r-to-give-network-control-to-airport-extreme/

Hope this helps - would love to know if it works for you or if you find any errors, omissions or confusion in the instructions.

Allison Sheridan
    NosillaCast Mac Podcast at http://podfeet.com
    A technology geek podcast with an EVER so slight Macintosh bias!
    Follow me at http://twitter.com/podfeet

18. happyapplemama macrumors newbie

I also have Fios TV...will this effect my VOD/DVR? Will I lose all my menus, etc? TIA! :)

19. nosillacast macrumors newbie

How to use the Airport Extreme & all it's functionality with Verizon FiOS

I don't have the Verizon DVR, but this setup has no affect on the VOD service through the Verizon box. Shouldn't affect the DVR either, or the IP phones (because they're still served by the Verizon router which is still in place).