AirPort Extreme - without Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Maccastace, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Maccastace macrumors newbie

Hey! This stuff is a wee bit over my head and I haven't been able to search out and answer for this!

I use my landlords rather craptastic net connection so I'm kind of tethered to some d-link shenanigans that I can't tinker with. I have an extreme from my last apartment but now I'm in a basement suite and I need to use their connection.

I use a macbook and don't like having cords attached all of the time and I watch a lot of stuff off of my external hard drives (and backup with time capsule). Is it possible to connect those externals to the airport and have it backup their without an Internet connection? If so, how do I connect to both that and my landlords Internet without having to switch back and forth?

There is a tiny possibility I could connect the airport to my landlords wireless router - would that work? I'd still be at the mercy of a lost signal then I guess though? Ugh! I'm so lost on this stuff!

Any help would be appreciated! Sorry it's such a super "newb" question! :)

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Not exactly sure what you want, but you can connect an external drive to an Airport Extreme Base Station and back up to it. Time Machine isn't supported, but you can do it some other way. The internet isn't involved in that; it's a local network function. The AEBS could connect to your landlord's router with just an ethernet cable, or via wifi.