Airport extreme won't connect downstream from switch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Oct 3, 2013.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I want to run my airport extreme (previous generation) running off of a 5 port netgear switch. The switch is located on the 2nd floor next to the modem. I have a hard line coming out of the switch running upstairs to the finished attic. I heard that the wireless works best the higher up in your house. When I connect it to the port downsteam from the switch up in the attic, it fails to establish an internet connection. The orange light just flashes. Any ideas or just isnt this setup possible? Does it have to be connected straight to the modem? Thanks

2. opinio macrumors 65816

What are your settings in the internet tab in the AirPort App. I take it because you have a seperate modem it is only an extender of your network? If so the internet setting should be set to DHCP. Also if your modem is the DHCP Server (i.e. also a router) then in the network tab the DHCP server and NAT should be off.

3. drsox, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You need to have a config that is like this :

Modem (not a router) >AExtreme>Switch>Other LAN Stuff.
    All WiFi Stuff connects to the AExtreme.

Is this what you have ?

Then you can make sure the settings are OK - see opinio's post.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

In other words you could set up something like:

Modem (not a router, NAT and DHCP off) >APExtreme (router) >Switch >Other LAN Stuff

or:

Modem (router) >Switch >APExtreme (not a router, access point only, NAT and DHCP off). The other LAN Stuff could be connected to switch or APExtreme.