Airport Extreme won't extend

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AFEPPL, Apr 26, 2015.

1. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

What's happened at apple? Why don't the simple things just work anymore?

So, long story short, i already have the new style Time Capsule so i decided to make it my primary router rather than just use it for the backup device capabilities and as well as wanting to extend the WiFi at the far side of the house with an AE. Both devices are running the same version (7.7.3). TC set up and is working fine, both the wireless and ethernet connections are fine, my devices can talk to each other and the internet. All good at this point, I have a working WiFi.

Plug in the AE, (AE is hard cabled over CAT6 to the TC) select extend the network, select the name of the network to join from the drop down, type in the password etc and the AE joins to the TC successfully no issues. Again at this stage everything is fine. I can talk to the internet either wirelessly or via cable.

Within 5-6mins of the connection being made, the internet speed will start to decline and then both the TC and AE will start to flash yellow and all connections to everything is lost. Wireless will then go offline (i.e. it the mac/phone/ATV/iPad - anything) cant see the wireless signal anymore and nothing works. I've tried pre-selecting the 5ghz channel, I'm not wanting to split 2.4 and 5Ghz to two SSIDs, but i tried that, still too, zip. Same problem. Ive tried both DHCP for the ip and STATIC on the AE, still does the same. Guest network is disabled on both devices so it's not that common issue. NAT port mapping on/off no differences.

I can get the AE to work totally fine and be stable IF it's put into bridge mode and has its own separate WiFI name - which is pointless and not what i want (this is what i had before and why i bought the AE to start with).

I've fully reset the AE about a dozen times, i don't want to reset the TC as it would destroy the backups. Anything else before i just return it and give in...??

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ I can get the AE to work totally fine and be stable IF it's put into bridge mode and has its own separate WiFI name - which is pointless and not what i want (this is what i had before and why i bought the AE to start with) ]]

My suggestion:
    Go with what works for you.
    Even if "what works" is somewhat different from what you were expecting to work.

In your case, I would set up the APEx in bridge mode to create a new wireless network.

HOWEVER -- I would specifically designate that it have transmission channels DIFFERENT FROM those set on your Time Capsule. You do not want the signals from the TC and APEx interfering with each other.

Your wireless devices should connect to the strongest signal available, depending on where they're located at the moment.

You could use the free utility called 'iStumbler" to ascertain which channels are available. You don't want to use channels that are already being used by other wireless transmitters near yours (i.e., outside your house).

I freely admit to not being a wireless expert -- perhaps others will step into the discussion and show me where I've erred.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You want the Extreme to create a wireless network with identical security and network name. Set it to Bridge Mode as well. This will use it as an AP. "Extend a Wireless Network" is used to extend wirelessly, and when plugged into Ethernet as well causes a DHCP loop and the issues you state.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

See here : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204616

(you want to create a "roaming network")

NB : in Airport Utility 6. :
    Wireless : "Create a wireless network"
    Network : Router mode : Off (bridge mode)

5. AFEPPL thread starter macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Yep, seen that, all very basic and easy stuff - but it just doesn't work...

It actually runs a wizard on first start and steps you through the process, (as i stated above) - it all creates fine, but within 5mins WiFi will start to fail and the yellow lights will flash. Ethernet works fine at all times.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Did you select "Create a wireless network" ?

You might check the settings in Airport Utility, and post screenshots of the Wifi, Internet, and Network tabs.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

PM me if you want me to help you configure it over TeamViewer. It should be as simple as that, however there maybe something that we are overlooking.

8. AFEPPL thread starter macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I spoke to a friend in SFO, the issue is or was that the TM is from the US (i bought it when i was working/living in the US) and the AE is EU, they have a slightly different firmware (same version number) and what happens is when they join together and then try to share the key info between the devices, the key exchange fails as it uses a different crypto algorithm which in term leads to the problem. I thought at first it was just the bands, but the AC band has a huge overlap between US and UK and you can use the 36-48 range.

I've returned the AE to apple this morning and i'll either pick up and AP or AE (US version) in the US in a few weeks time.

Thanks for the help however...