AirPort Extreme Won't Work With My DSL???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by basset hound, Jan 18, 2008.

1. basset hound macrumors newbie

I just switched back to Mac after being in the PC world for many years. I just couldn't take it anymore. So, I bought a 24" 2.8 GHz iMac. Wow, what a great machine. I can't believe what tis can do when compared to the original Apple:apple: computer I used many years ago.

One reason I switched back was the "easy plug and play" promise. Right now that promise is a little tarnished. My when I plug in my AirStream 5100 Ethernet ADSL modem into my Airport Extreme all I get is a blinking yellow light. :confused: Yes, the AirStream does work with the iMac when I plug it into the Ethernet plug on the back of the iMac. My ISP stepped me through the needed steps because it wasn't "plug and play" either. I'm at a loss here. :confused: Does anyone have any idea what's wrong or steps to solve the problem? Thanks.

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming you have the Extreme Base Station? If so, I'm sorry to ask an obvious question: did you plug your modem into the WAN port of the AEBS? And did you reset your AEBS to factory settings beforehand? Finally, what version of firmware do you have in the AEBS?

3. basset hound thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the AEBS. I have the very latest updates on a brand new iMac 24". I've followed all the directions both in the booklet that came with the AEBS as well as those on the computer when I was trying to get it to work.:(

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

You know I had the same problem as you. The yellow light kept blinking. Then I realized I didn’t finish the setup. Did you go through the setup utility? Airport utility will also tell you what is wrong

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

V7.2.1 is buggy. For now, though, are you using DHCP to connect to the internet? You should change that to manual and set it to something like IP: 192.168.1.2, mask 255.255.255.0. Then, under Connection Sharing use Distribute range of IP addresses and use 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.116 as the range you assign to your clients...

6. basset hound thread starter macrumors newbie

Those steps are the ones I've followed. My iMac recognizes my AEBS with no problems at all. The light on the AEBS still blinks yellow and I can't get through the APBS to the Internet. The problem is that my DSL modem isn't "talking" with my AEBS. The AEBS utility doesn't tell me why it isn't making the connection.

That's similar to the way my ISP set up the DSL modem. I tried to match all those settings that their service rep. gave me, but it still isn't working. I'll give it a try when I get some time tomorrow and may have to see if they can step me through them. I'm not confident that they know much about Apple products. Today I'm not going to be available. Thanks.

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Ok have you opened up Airport Utility and noticed an ip address in there. Also did you continue through the setup process like base station name and security setup. As for the other post that someone said the AEBS does not use 192.x.x.x address it uses 10.x.x.x The unit is not plug and play you have to set it up through the utility...

8. basset hound thread starter macrumors newbie

My computer recognizes the AEBS. I get a green light for it in the Airport utility. The light on the base station still blinks yellow and I have a red light for the Internet. I can get the Internet through the modem directly to the computer (that's what I'm using right now) and I can get the computer to connect to the AEBS, but I can't get the Internet signal through the AEBS to the computer.:confused:

9. dborja macrumors 6502a

Choose DHCP at the Internet tab?