Airport Extreme worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Benjamin Black, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Benjamin Black macrumors member

Does anyone have some real-world Airport Extreme usage feedback they can share? I am especially interested in the Airport Disk feature. Any suggestions on the best external hard drives to use for this purpose? I know that some drives power-down after a period of inactivity, and I'm really wanting to avoid having to re-mount the drive to the network repeatedly throughout the day. Please note whether you are happy with your purchase or if you think it's overpriced for the current features offered.

Thanks.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I am very happy with the Airport Extreme.

Considering it costs less than a Linksys wireless USB printer server I got a couple years ago (yeah yeah I know technology drops in price) and works so much better, I'd strongly recommend it to anyone!

It is price competitive too, for what it offers.

The only spastic thing about it is the lack of Gigabit ethernet ports. The wireless bandwidth capacity is actually higher than the wired ports, go figure...

3. sinstoic macrumors member

Cons:

1. Lacks Gigabit Ethernet ports
    2. Only one USB 2.0 port
    3. Draft 802.11n specification
    4. Expensive considering current functionality

Rumors indicate that these will be rectified soon and also new Airport Express will be released.

4. fa.ce macrumors 6502

Any release date yet ?

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

what rumors are these?

6. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I got mine recently. The router function has worked flawlessly. I have been unable to use the Airdisk part yet, because I formated my Lacie 500 GB hard drive in htfs format to back up my aging pc.

The wireless printer function also works flawlessly but it does not scan wireless.

I am planning on purchasing an Imac soon and then will use Airdisk to back up.

7. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Must be true, because I bought one recently (Airport Express) ;-)

8. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I love my Airport Extreme, I chose it because:
    1. It looks great and stylish
    2. Its fast and coverage is great
    3. Having Wireless Hard drive is great because my hard drive in already full so I will be getting an external one but I move about a lot with my MBP and having to lug around an external hard drive wouldn't be the best of things.

I would say go for it.

Not too sure what would be the best hard drive for it.. any really.. I am going to get a MyBook 320gb because its cheap (£65) and looks nice.

9. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

10. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Airport Extreme? Or Airport Express?

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The rumour he's spreading now. ;)

12. giganten macrumors 6502a

Yeah go for it.

13. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Lack of Gigabit Ethernet port was the killer for me. Wireless is important and the AE would be a great way to go, but . . . my business computer is hooked up by ethernet and the AE, or some strange reason, is not up to date.

I have no new information here either, but it would be logical for Apple to update its ports because even reviews that are positive slam the AE for this. In fact, it makes me wonder how a product like this even made it out of development.