Airport Extreme... Worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WeeShoo, Jul 9, 2010.

1. WeeShoo macrumors regular

After spending about 6 hours yesterday with a NETGEAR WRN2000 router trying to forward ports for my Xbox Live service and properly set up my PPPoE connection from my modem to router, I am still having issues with my connection randomly dropping (Which is a common occurrence with the WRN2000). My question is, is it worth the $180 for the Airport Extreme? I'm assuming it supports a PPPoE connection type just like most routers do. Also, in the interface does it allow you to forward ports, and is there settings for NAT?

2. WeeShoo thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased an Airport Extreme yesterday, and I can honestly say it feels like it will be the most worthwhile thing I have invested in awhile. Setup was more than easy, especially after dealing with NETGEAR and Belkin routers. I have a DSL connection, setting up the Airport with PPPoE was seamless, and the connection is rock solid. I live in a three story house, my room is on the third floor, I did a signal strength test using a 2005 model Toshiba laptop, my iPod touch, and Macbook Pro. I was able to connect with all three from the end of my driveway on the opposite side of the house to where the Airport is connected, it is approx. 500 feet away, with a loss of 1 bar on my Macbook Pro, 2 bars on the touch, and the Toshiba laptop running Windows saying ''Good'' under wireless networks. I never understood why the price for the unit was $180.00, but now I do. You absolutely get what you pay for with the Airport Extreme.

3. stuboy macrumors newbie

Yes that ! ... great piece of kit !

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

AEBS kick butt. Have two if them and have had zero problems.

5. Jordan6 macrumors regular

This Guy just convinced me to get one...TODAY.

6. elleana macrumors regular

Most definitely. I live in a large-ish house, and was having problems getting strong enough wireless signal to all parts of the house. I tried Buffalo and D-Link before trying the Airport Extreme, and I couldn't be happier. Good if you want to connect two or more together, most other routers you have to jump through lots of hoops. In the Airport Extreme its just another option.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its a pretty darn decent router. not the most flexible of things for security and whatnot - but you get what you pay for!