Airport Extreme WWDC 2014

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlabamaSlammer, Jun 1, 2014.

1. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

I know this is a little picky on my part and is more of an convenience but would anyone else like to have an update Airport Extreme with 2 usb ports?

Again, I know this is picky but I'm just wondering if I'm the only person who wants this

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Many people would probably want it. Either way it is a simply nice feature but a powered USB hub does nicely.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And 802.1Q support please, so I don't have to dump my AirPort in October when they recable my street...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Why are they setting up VLANs on a street level?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's not really on a street level per se, but rather that the shiny new network requires an 802.1Q-compatible router (I'm not sure of the reasons other than something to do with guaranteed bandwidth). I could use the ISP-supplied router, but if it's like my last ISP-supplied one then it'll be slower than an AirPort and harder to set up.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can still hook the AirPort up behind the ISP supplied equipment with minimal if any loss of speed!

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There was definitely loss of speed with my previous ISP-supplied router (I don't remember the figures though) until I found out how to reconfigure it just be a modem. Apparently that's not possible with most of the routers that ISPs are handing out now (although I won't know for sure until I get one).

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would at least keep the AirPort when they set it up. Then look about using the AirPort in Bridge Mode or setting the ISP supplied equipment to modem (passthrough) mode. That is the best advice I can give.

Essentially deal with it when it happens.

9. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

They aren't going to do that for a while tho with the new iCloud service I think they are going to dump time capsule or have to give you a big HD. 2tb and 3tb for an extra 200 don't really seem like a good deal any more or enough for a lot of people.