Airport extreme + xbox 360 - HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ollyclio, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ollyclio macrumors member

hi, ive had my xbox 360 connected to my apple extreme base station (gigabte) connected via wifi, ive maybe had 1 or 2 issues but that was the xbox wifi adapter (had to plug it in the front usb then in the back to get it working again).

I decided to hard wire the xbox to the base station so the gaming was faster, this was fine for maybe 48hrs. But then pow, when the xbox is on i lose the wifi function of my apple base station and no compute can connect to it in the house, turn the xbox off and it the wifi is restored. If i try to connect the xbox via the wifi adapter it also shuts down the wifi of the base station.
    Ive restarted and updated everything sooooooo many times.

The only thing that happened the morning this kinda started happening is we had a power cut, the only thing that would of been on was the apple base station, no fuse was blown or anything. Could the power cause the router to mess up?

Ive called xbox and they just took me through resetting stuff which works for 1 minute then i cant connect to xbox live and it all goes wrong again.

so if anyone has any ideas please help before the xbox gets it!!v

2. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

sounds like its the base station rather than the xbox. i have two xboxs, one running on the wireless adapter (going to my old school airport extreme) and the other plugged directly into my cox cable modem (plus 4 other macs accessing wireless). i dont use any passwords as my airport extreme doesnt really reach outside our home anyways and havent really had any problems w/ losing connection (besides the entire wireless going down, then i just unplug wireless + modem and restart).

maybe try plugging directly into your cable modem and remove any security and see if it works?

3. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

I have had a 360 connected (hardwired) to my AEBS for well over a year with zero issues (and I know many others with the same setup), so something is clearly wrong and I think it is with your AEBS. The only things that come to mind are:

1. Try different ethernet ports on the AEBS.
    2. Reset the AEBS to factory settings and reconfigure.

It is possible that a powersurge could screw up the AEBS, but I am not sure how one would go about diagnosing that.

4. pprior macrumors 65816

Agree - the xbox is just another device to the base station, it won't be shutting down the wireless.

I have my Xbox360 hardwired to my AEBS (which is hardwired to a different AEBS...) and has worked w/o problems.

What other devices do you have hooked up?

You're sure you're not hooking the xbox into the WAN port?

Run airport utility and update firmware?

5. GNice macrumors 6502

Wish a had an answer for you. All I can tell you is that I have my xbox "wired" to my AEBS for faster gaming and I'm not having any issues at all.