Airport Extreme/ Xbox 360 question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mpeuler, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mpeuler macrumors newbie

Hello all. New to the forums. I have an Xbox 360 set up in my bedroom which is at the opposite end of the house. I have an airport extreme base station (new model) connected to my modem and PC (PC is not wireless, thus why i have it connected).... I have the wireless adapter connected to my xbox 360. I can play online with no lag (game: modern warfare 2) when nobody is on the pc but when someone is on the pc I get very noticeable lag. I guess I am fighting to split the connection with the pc. What is my best solution? 1) Have my ISP boost the speed of my modem. I didn't know if this would help by giving us more speed to fight over. 2) Get an Airport express and set it up closer to my bedroom/xbox 360. Will the express still fight for the connection with my pc like my wireless adapter on the 360? 3) Get the airport express and connect it directly to my 360 with an ethernet cable. Will i still be fighting for connection with the pc?

Any suggestion/feedback is greatly appreciated. There may be an option I have not realized yet. Thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How fast is your connection at the moment? Run SpeedTest to test your real speed. Make sure you're not downloading anything on that PC because downloads usually use major share of connection.

3. mpeuler thread starter macrumors newbie

Just ran the speed test. Results:

ping- 127 MS
    Upload- .95 mb/s
    download- 6.48 mb/s

Not sure how good/bad these numbers are. If you or anybody else could educate me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

4. mpeuler thread starter macrumors newbie