airport extreme + xbox 360

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ollyclio, Aug 18, 2009.

1. ollyclio macrumors member

hi people, does anyone here connect their xbox 360 to their airport extreme base station via wifi.
    I have read ways to do this, by turning the 'N' mode off etc.
    But i just want to find out more before i take the plunge into buying a xbox 360 and if you can do this with out changing from N mode.
    i have one of the latest 802.11n apple base station

thanks

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It appears that it depends on the age of the Xbox 360's wireless adapter whether or not you will get it working.

I have one of the original wireless adapters and NO matter what combination of settings I make to my Airport Extreme - the 360 refuses to connect with it.

It's an utter pain.

However I know of others with newer adapters - that seem to work fine.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have tried to connect my xbox 360 to my Time Capsule via WiFi and never had any success.

If you mac is near your xbox follow this guide

If you do manage to connect via WiFi I would love to know how. It seems that the two products just do not work together.

4. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

i heard that the time capsules had trouble, but i thought that was people trying to use the hd with the xbox.
    Its going to be a new wireless/xbox etc.

The guides i saw were to turn off the n mode and change the radio settings, and just make it a 54mbps (how ever it goes) wireless router, i wonder if that would work for your timecapsule...

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2007/02/26/xbox-360-and-airport-extreme-compatibility-fix/

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Its worth a try as its a pain having to move my mac downstairs to plug it into my xbox. I will have a go over the weekend. Cheers!

6. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

hahah i knew i would find a use for my new 17inch macbook pro

7. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

i was wondering.... if i used the guide you posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4qd1RHmH8
    (connecting your mac to your xbox via ethernet)

and connected a xbox to a airport express base station would you be able to set it up in the same way? so the airport express base station would act as the bridge.

8. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

just to let you know, i plugged a brand new xbox with the xbox wifi adapter and it worked fine on my apple extreme base station, i have wpa enabled on the router too

9. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

so if can you successfully connect a 360 with extreme wired? My router sits on top of my 360 and I have it wired now.

I am about to buy a Airport Extreme tomorrow. Can I connect it to the 360 through ethernet and everything work?

10. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

ive got a new apple extreme basestation and new xbox 360 etc etc and it works fine so i guess it will be all gravy