Airport Extreme, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoodtobetheKing, Sep 8, 2011.

1. GoodtobetheKing macrumors member

I just moved into a new apartment. It's pretty small but I'm not sure how I should set up my internet yet. In my previous apartment, I had an Airport Express that I used get my Xbox 360 and PS3 online with an Ethernet cable. But since I don't have any roommates I want to set up the WIFI my way. I don't have a lot of needs but here's basically what I hope to do.

-I'd like to have my Xbox 360 and PS3 hooked up to the internet without having to switch the Ethernet cable between them.

-I'd also like to be able to connect to the internet via wifi if one of the gaming consoles is online.

Now I'll be honest, I know the Airport Extreme would probably be overkill for an apartment, but considering it has a dual band network and more than one Ethernet port it would suit my needs just fine. But the price is an issue. I can pay it and I'll be fine but I wouldn't be too too happy about it. I currently have a Airport Express at my apartment but it's not mine (I'm borrowing it). I figure having the Airport Extreme would a good investment down the road anyway and would last me a couple years.

So should I make the plunge and buy the Airport Extreme? Or is there another option that I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Any wireless router will do this.

3. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I bought an Airport Extreme 3 months ago and I have been thrilled with it's performance. It's running an iMac, MBP, 2 iPad, 2 printers(of different brands), 2 iphones and a blu-ray player without breathing hard. I think I made a good purchase

4. GoodtobetheKing thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should clarify, I want to have a wired connection to my consoles and at the same time use WIFI. The PS3 does have a wireless connection but my Xbox 360 doesn't. Also a wired connection is obviously faster.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

As already said, cheaper routers can do what you need, but i do recommend the AE as I've found mine reliable and easy to configure

6. GoodtobetheKing thread starter macrumors member

Can you suggest one that's good?

Personally I prefer the Apple router because it's easy to set up.

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

AE is very easy to configure. Besides that there are cheaper alternatives from e.g. linksys.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Buffalo, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link...

I like Buffalo and Netgear, but that might just be arbitrary personal preference.

9. anhhungcodoc macrumors newbie

im using Dlink 655 n router and i can say it is really reliable and consistent. my last router last me over 3 years so i bought a new one recently and it is as good as the last one

10. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Airport Extreme is the best fastest router I ever owned.

You will not get this kind of performance from the others. I owned them all and the Airport extreme blew them out of the water.

You will not regret it. Don't even look at other cheaper alternatives. You truly get what you pay for in this situation.

11. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I've used many routers. None have been as good at set-up-and-forget-it as the AE. Doesn't deteriorate. Doesn't hiccup. Just works. And you don't have to worry about keeping check on whether there are firmware upgrades because you know, it's Apple...

12. WildGuess macrumors regular

Refurbs show up in the Apple store for $130. Check the site 'till you get one.

13. Mrs. Jobs macrumors member

Absolutely! :)