Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ferryh, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ferryh macrumors newbie

Hello all,

i am totally new here and i am from the Netherlands,

i just wanted to know about the airport extreme for installation:

Everything off the power, and connect the airport extreme with the internet cable to the modem from my DSL supplier?

Or do i need to connect first with my new MBP to the Airport Extreme with the internet cable to make settings?

anyone have a good tip for me how to install it for 2 MBP's and 2 harddrives from LaCie (usb2)

i know i can follow instructions, but sometimes from people who worked with the product can give better tips/advise,

its just prepairing what i am doing now and i do know what "RTFM" means, and i will use the manual, but i hope go gather some good info with the experience people might have with the same construction as me.

Thanks in advance,

Fer

p.s. just have my macbook pro for 3 days now... why did i not buy it a couple of years ago! wow!! i am so happy with it! :)

2. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I got my Airport Extreme about 6 weeks ago. At the moment, I have 3 PCs and my MBP connected wirelessly. My external hard drive is plugged into the USB. The iPhone also connects with no problem.

The setup instructions were straight forward. RTFM is the way to go. There is an order to setting things up and if you follow that, it is quite easy. The setup for the security is on-screen. The hardest thing is thinking up your passwords.
    You should not have a problem.

Don't over think this. It just works.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Welcome to MacRumors, ferryh!

The manual that comes with it should explain most of what you ask, step-by-step. Here's how I would start in your case:

1. Install the AirPort Utility program from the included disk onto one of the MacBooks.
    2. Attach AirPort Extreme's power cord to a power outlet, near where your Internet modem is located. The indicator light will probably blink yellow/amber, but that's OK for now.
    3. With the Airport Extreme on, run the AirPort Utility and follow its step-by-step setup. During this setup, you'll be asked to connect your Internet cable into the WAN port of the Extreme; do so.
    4. You'll be asked about how you want to use this AirPort Extreme, and will have three choices. One of them is Bridge Mode; you don't want this, as this is only good in conjuction with another router. There's another one with both DHCP and NAT; I think that's the one you want for your situation.

This will eventually result in both your MacBooks seeing the AirPort Extreme as a WiFi hotspot, and the AirPort Extreme's light will turn a steady green.

In order to connect two LaCie hard drives directly to the AirPort Extreme, you'll need a powered USB hub. Connect the hub into the USB port on the AirPort Extreme, then the two hard drives into the hub. Follow the instructions in AirPort Utility to setup the hard drives for use by your MacBooks.

4. ferryh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replies !! :)

it is so easy all with apple isn't it? i was used to windows... and.. well.. you know how that can be... lol

i will let you know when i am online with my airport extreme! :)

looking forward to have my hard drives on my router! so much easier

Greets

Fer

5. ferryh thread starter macrumors newbie

hey there,

All went well, only a small problem:

[​IMG]

the Airport Extreme stands on the TV screen about 2 meters away from the macbooks pro...

any advise??

thanks in advance!!

EDIT :
    [​IMG]

its better now only i dont know how to "visit" my harddisk that is on the airport extreme..

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Any disk plugged into the AE should show up in Bonjour (OS X network browsing). Perhaps you will need to set up the disk using Airport Utility to get it to show up in Bonjour.