Airport extreme ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bearcatrp, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Can a airport extreme be used in bridge mode wireless (no ethernet cable) to another wireless router? I have computers in another room. No cabling to the room. Already have a wireless router from my ISP in another room. I want to use the AE in bridge mode to connect wirelessly to the other router. Have tried numerous settings, searched the Internet, etc.., no luck. Have found it can be done with 2 apple airports though. Suggestions?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

No, you either bridge wired or extend a wireless network wirelessly. Some routers are compatible with Apple so you can extend the network off of them but these are rare. Your cheapest route option is to buy a refurbished Express and put your Extreme in bridge mode in the room with the ISP router. The Express will be set to extend the network in the other room.

3. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

ok. thanks. How about this. I have a wrt54g laying around. I hook up the extreme to the main router, shut off the main wireless router and turn on the extreme wireless router, then use the wrt54g in the other room to wireless connect to the extreme. Possible? otherwise I might as well go buy a wireless card for my pc or share my connection with a mini in the other room that has wireless.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You'll have to search around, I'm not sure if the Linksys can extend a network provided by the Apple.

If you're willing to go buy a wireless card, why not spend the $70 on an Express and set it up the way you're trying to do?