Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tijmen, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Tijmen macrumors newbie

I'm intrested in buying a AE and I don't know if I need to wait or buy it right now. The last update was in 2009 and apple updates there products like every 6 months. Now a year is past and still no new AE. But there are new things like USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt (things to put in the AE).

Is it wise to wait a while for the new one or not?

Who can clear my mind?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy now. AE does not have a regular update cycle. USB 3 or TB are unlikely to be added anytime soon since the CPU inside the AE cannot even keep pace with USB 2. Not even close.

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

check your local Apple online store for a refurbished unit (link takes you to the US store - currently no refurb extremes available).

4. Drew n macs macrumors member

Also bestbuy does have these refurbished and will ship to store. I bought mine through bestbuy it was 119, but after buying I realized It did come with a CD. I was able to use airport utility and worked great would have been a problem if you just have a pc.

5. Usquebaugh macrumors newbie

I'd say get it refurbished or don't bother, $200 is way to much for that tech now in my opinion. I think you can find other premium routers for much less.

I think it's in the Apple refurbished store at the moment, but if not I think Best Buy sells it online for $10 cheaper refurbished ($119).

The only reason to wait would be if there were some new wireless protocol coming out, but you'd hear all about it long before it made it into Apple's product line. 5 Ghz n seems to be the standard for the foreseeable future, so no danger in it being outdated.