Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tadros86, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

What are the main differences between the 1st generation Airport Extreme and the 2nd generation? Is it worth upgrading to the newer model?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I think the newer one has improved signal strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. taylortm macrumors member

Unqualified rumor

Sorry... I don't like to post things like this here. I would typically go do some more research and provide links. But, after all, this is the MacRUMORS forum, so I'll decided not to feel so badly about my behavior.

I suggest you do some searching around on this forum and others that cover Apple gear. I just bought the 2nd Gen Airport Extreme about 5 weeks ago. (And I LOVE IT and would tell you how great it is for no less than 15 minutes if you were in the room with me!)

But I was a bit distraught last week as rumors were reaching very high "confidence levels" that Apple would be announcing a new Airport model at last week's big Apple Conference (called WWDC). It turned out that they did NOT announce a new Airport. But there are still many rumors that they will announce one "soon."

Just be careful, as it's always a bummer to buy "last year's model" and Apple is pretty notorious about NOT letting you return your recently purchased item when they announce a new one. (They almost always give you only 14 days... and are famous for being sticklers on this.)

Check out rumor sites. Search for Airport Extreme Refresh. Look for stories that cover Apple's "dropping" of the name Airport in favor of the more ubiquitous WiFi. And also consider stories that suggest that the next Airports will somehow play nicely with iCloud.

I think it's likely that a new Airport is coming. But, like I said, the current one is SPECTACULAR and worth every penny!

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Definitely ditto that; odds are a new model is about to appear.

5. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Argh could really use a new AEBS but holding off. Been holding off for two maybe three weeks now. Feeling like these rumors are teases and also I'm unclear if any upgrade on a simple device like AEBS is going to mean that much.

6. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same position too. I have the older timecapsule (single 5ghz band) as my router now and looking to upgrade to something faster/ possibly more stable, and with dual-band.

I'm waiting to see if there is a new Timecapsule or AEBS coming out like the rumors said. If not, I'd probably get a Netgear N750 if it comes out soon or the netgear SRXN3205 I saw on the netgear site.

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

http://latestfashion.shadinow.com/?p=9165

Quote from source code in the new Airport Utility update:

"The confirmation comes from the source code of the new Airport Utility update. The geeks over at 9to5Mac were perusing the source code and noted references to new Time Capsule 802.11n 4th generation and AirPort Extreme 802.11n 5th generation devices. Further down in the update they also noted the code in the image with the white background."

I would wait.:rolleyes:

8. zeppo2 macrumors member

I bought one in December 2009-- Model No. A1354
    I think this is the one you are talking about, but I'm not sure.

What modem do you use? Is it cable or dsl?

I bought this Extreme for my mother, but now she is unable to use the internet. So I may take it to my house and start getting internet. I haven't bothered with internet for years. But since I have to buy a modem, it seems like it might be better just to buy an modem/router and forget the Extreme.