AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbracco, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jbracco macrumors member

What are the differences if any from the airport extreme that was released in October 2009 and June 2011?

I can see that they are both dual band and both have 802.11a/b/g/n and Gigabit Ethernet

So what are the differences?

Thanks!:apple:

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

3. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Just like everything else. The newer one is better. Apple isn't Microsoft. They don't put a new sticker on their box and try to sell you the same thing for $200 bucks. The new one is way faster and has better range.

The thing is how much do you care about it being new? If you don't care look on ebay or craigslist. You can get the 4th gen one that works insanely well for $65-80 bucks or the new one thats $180 at stores for $100. I have the 5th gen in my apartment and the 4th gen at my parents house. I can't tell the difference tho we both have the Comcast bundle internet which is not insanely fast.

The speed on the router depends on your internet speed at home. Great you have a $200 router but if you have $15 DSL not going to make much of a difference.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Did you attach a hard drive to either router (for Time Machine Backups)? I am torn between the convenience of the Time Capsule and the reasonable price for the Airport Extreme.