AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bioshox, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

Hey guys!

Okay so I got myself the latest version of the basestation from Apple!

Obviously as the device doesn't have a modem inbuilt (why?!) I'm going to have to use my existing Router via Ethernet to connect it.

First question is, if I disable Internet Sharing on my Router, and use as a Modem Only, will this work with my APE?

As you can imagine having two Wireless Networks in my home may be confusing for those less computer literate than I am, and I don't want my old Router using more power than it needs to when I could just switch the Internet Sharing off completely.

Many thanks!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Okay

Use the incoming Router/ Modem as a Modem ONLY.

Configure your new AE with devices connected to it.

Use the old router only as a modem. Works a treat here

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What kind of modem are you talking about, a dialup, cable or DSL modem?

What exactly is it you're trying to accomplish, with more detail.

Why would you expect a router to have a modem built in?

4. Bioshox thread starter macrumors newbie

Bioshox

Hello,

Almost all wireless routers have modems inbuilt these days, there are very few, good make Modems Without WiFi these days.

I'm just wondering if I should turn of Internet Sharing on my current Router which is connected via DSL to the Telephone Line. My current router is 5 years old and it's wireless signal keeps dropping, so I've purchased an APE, but obviously it doesn't have a modem inbuilt, god knows why but thats just the way it is.

Many thanks!

5. theprophe macrumors newbie

I was thinking of getting the base station, but you're saying it doesnt have PPPoe built in? that would be major

6. fred.bloggs macrumors member

I think the OP is referring to an ADSL modem. Most ADSL devices have modem and router in one (PPPoA).

Cable and BT infinity have a dedicated modem (PPPoE) and separate router. The airport extreme works fine as a router in this situation.

If you have ADSL just take your old modem/router and configure it into bridging mode. It then will connect to the ADSL and bridge it to ethernet (PPPoA to PPPoE).

Clear as mud now????

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, many modems (sold as modems) have routers built into them these days. Most routers (sold as routers) still don't have modems built into them. If you look up the major router manufacturers on Amazon, none of the top hits are for devices with integrated modems. For one thing, depending on where you live, multiple standards (Cable/DSL) coexist, and so why would people want their router to come with a cable modem built into it when they have DSL and not cable?

For the rest, as pointed out above, step one is to say what hardware you actually have and what you are trying to accomplish with it.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you don't want to (or can't) disable the routing in your modem/router, you can also run the AEBS in bridge mode allowing it to act as a wireless access point, though you lose the ability to create a guest network in doing so.

9. Chic0 macrumors 6502

to the OP - before spending £140 on something surely it would have been better to make sure it was capable of what you wanted to do in the first place? :rolleyes:

Anyway what the guys above have said should work.