Airport extreme

Mkostera16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Milwaukee
Looking to buy a new router. Iv been looking at the 4th Gen. Mc340LL/a model. Is there any major advantages of the newest 5th gen model. I just use wifi with my iPhone, macbook pro, and Xbox 360.

Aco Strkalj

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
When is Apple releasing the 6th generation AirPort Extreme (APE)? I bought an APE yesterday and I hear rumors of an upgrade being announced this June 11th. I would hate to have just purchased the last generation version a couple weeks before the release of the latest and greatest. Anyone?

Also, speaking of the APE, I was going to post a thread asking this question but I think it's appropriate to ask it here:

Does anyone know where I can buy Ethernet cables that are a perfect match for the APE and have the same Apple cable texture, feel, and look? I like everything to look uniform. Let me know. Thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
When is Apple releasing the 6th generation AirPort Extreme (APE)? I bought an APE yesterday and I hear rumors of an upgrade being announced this June 11th. I would hate to have just purchased the last generation version a couple weeks before the release of the latest and greatest. Anyone?

Also, speaking of the APE, I was going to post a thread asking this question but I think it's appropriate to ask it here:

Does anyone know where I can buy Ethernet cables that are a perfect match for the APE and have the same Apple cable texture, feel, and look? I like everything to look uniform. Let me know. Thanks.
Best guess would be when the new wifi standard goes live....It would be pointless to release a new model now, and have to re-design again a few months down the line. UNLESS they incorporate the new draft in the AEBS firmware.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX

I wouldn't think the ethernet cable that is similar to Apple's cable texture/feel/look would meet Cat5/5e/6 specifications. These hardly last more than a year with heavy use. The ethernet cables I've made are over 10 years old and still work great.

Aco Strkalj

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
I wouldn't think the ethernet cable that is similar to Apple's cable texture/feel/look would meet Cat5/5e/6 specifications. These hardly last more than a year with heavy use. The ethernet cables I've made are over 10 years old and still work great.
So your telling me such a cable does not exist?

What about those Moshi Ethernet cables?

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So your telling me such a cable does not exist?

What about those Moshi Ethernet cables?
Those have green boots and they're flat. Doesn't match with all the Apple cables I have.

Doesn't the AEBS come with an ethernet patch cable? All the modems as routers I've ever bought did.

Aco Strkalj

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Those have green boots and they're flat. Doesn't match with all the Apple cables I have.

Doesn't the AEBS come with an ethernet patch cable? All the modems as routers I've ever bought did.
I'm talking about the color and texture. They seem to look like apple cables.

What is AEBS?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Route the cables behinds your desk? I don't even see my base station, it hides in my entertainment center.

And no, the AirPort Extreme Base Station doesn't come with any cables besides the A/C adapter and associated power cable.

What is AEBS?
See above.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Maybe go to a local computer mega store. Altex is the one around me. They'll have an aisle of ethernet cable. This way you can look at the cables to feel their texture. I will say all the different ones I've accumulated over the past 11 years are the harder plasticky type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.