Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wild1985, Oct 23, 2012.

1. wild1985 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

May be a silly question about extreme!

Just bought one and need to know a few things.

1, whats the best way to find out if the one I bought is the new 5th gen?
    2, on the back of the box it says "dual band" is that simultaneous dual-band?

I set the extreme up today and everything works great but I though it would give out 2.4 and 5ghz without me doing anything, when looking I had to tick a box that said 5Ghz and then the AP gave out two different WiFi names e.g. wireless LAN and wireless LAN 5Ghz. Is this normal? Would someone have to select the different network or would the device just select the correct one?

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I just ordered this onehttp://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station

You got to check the release date. This is one is dual band thats why I ordered it since my iPhone 5 is 5ghz and a few of my other devices run on the lower speeds.

3. kapa1686 macrumors member

Hi,

yeah that is correct, you have to create two network's, one for 2.4 Ghz, and 5 Ghz with different names, you then select one one when you are connecting from a compatible device.

You can tell which version it is by using AirPort utility on either Mac/PC or a iOS device with the app. It should say what model it is.