AirPort Extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spontida, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Spontida macrumors regular

Is it the best time to buy an Airport Extreme? Or is it going to be updated soon?

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

MajorGraff is correct, and I was going to suggest the Buyer's Guide to you, for future questions like that, but curiously enough, the AE is not listed there. MR….??

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

3. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

4. Spontida thread starter macrumors regular

Did I miss a post or something? I don't see a post by MajorGraff.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I doubt you will see an update soon. Usually the updates are to add some new feature like 802.11ac with the June 2013 update. I can't think of any new wifi standards or features that are coming up that would warrant an update.

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Yes, it was apparently deleted for some reason. He basically said that the Airport Extreme was completely revamped and updated to 802.11ac recently --it was in fact introduced last June at the WWDC--, and that it was a good time to buy it, to which I responded with my suggestion.

I'm still not sure why it, or even the Airport Express, do not show up in the MR buyers guide --the AppleTV is in there--, but that's another subject.

Bottom line, for less money, you could buy a router and an external HDD, but if you're planning to stick with Apple, it's a great all-in-one, set it-forget it solution.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Best time to buy is after reading other sites on other makers of WiFi routers. There are several AC routers out there that perform better, have better security controls and cost the same or less. Techies who have AE have seen its front end software take 2 steps backwards on functionality which is rather sad.

My 2 Extremes and 1 Express have all found nice homes with friends of mine just starting out. There is no "eco" system with Apple networking.

8. Spontida thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I didn't know it had been updated in June ;P.