AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darthpanthro, Feb 5, 2014.

1. darthpanthro macrumors newbie

all the reviews i have read say this is the best router out there will it work with android devices and windows pcs laptop and surface pro

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, its just like any other router in that regard.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

It is indeed the best. Apple routers last and last and last. Cisco and Netgear, I've had them fail, drop signal, etc. After upgrading to Apple router, zero problems. And I mean zero.

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Really surprised to see such blind loyalty and sorry as this is not meant to be disrespectful.

Go to sites that review Routers and you will see that in performance, the Airport Extreme trails behind a few other models yet is one of the most expensive. Also, check out Apple's software control for the Extreme vs a full fledged interface that can handle far more facets of security.

If the AE works well for you then by all means continue but don't please resort to such blanket statements that it is the best. - It is not but it is good.

Go to Smallnetbuilder and have a look through the router review section. Also go to any other serious site and you will find the Airport Extreme is not the best of the bunch but rates "good."

5. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Be careful not to be swayed on performance figures alone. As I mentioned in another thread, my house was a graveyard for various routers that were just plain unstable in day-to-day operation.

My AE has proved to be rock-solid.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I have used multiple AEs, Expresses along with other routers. I have had both good and bad luck with them all (including AE). Part of it depends on the set up and environment. I'll submit again that the software for AE is dreadful. Apple elected to do an upgrade that was actually a dumbing down of the software. Setting up for optimal use of the AE does require a 'visit' to the settings and most people don't take the time to fiddle.

Having set up AE's for friends, they are for the most part quite happy but that is because they have nothing to compare the AE to with respect to speed, consistent reception etc. I suppose the bottom line is - they are happy with the AE.

7. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

AirPort Extreme - the router for the rest of us. I'm a total tech nerd with more programming experience than like 95% of this forum, and I can manage and port forward a network like nobody's business. However, the APX is the router I use at home - because it 'effing works. No problems, no fuss. It. Just. Works. Sure, you can't do a bunch of crazy crap on 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't matter. It's the most stable router I've ever used. It's amazing.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm still using an old one...it's connected to my TC which in turn us connected to the ISP supplied modem. It's rock solid, has an extra dumping ground storage attached ( 16GB Kingston) and allows me to connect my smart TV and a couple if other devices in the bedroom.

I'm not sure about the design of those new ones...sure, they are better in terms if performance etc. but to me they seem vulnerable.....maybe that's because I have two cats:)

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am glad you like your AE and that you have no issues with it. However, I'll stand by what I said and that it is not the best interface and is seriously lacking in some controls. That being said, I too have had AE's that did their job well and also DLink 65x series and others. Coming from an IT and IS background, I don't expect home routers to be in the same league as serious network systems in a large company but should have some basics down which AE has always* been flagged for lacking. If as you say you have a background in computers, you know then exactly what I am talking about.

10. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

I agree with you. It's lacking in features that computer geeks will want, but 95% of the population will never, ever use. I'll give you that.

I'll still stand by that for normal people, the APX and APE are the best routers, with simplicity and stability as the top criteria.

11. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Interesting given that there are many other routers that rate higher, have good stability and do* offer better security. Again, I have set up AE's for friends and they are quite happy with their networks. As for me, I have found consistent routers that offer more, cost less and for the most part exceed AE performance.

I look forward to future AE improvements on the ac side of things.

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Durable

Airport Extreme routers last. I am using a first generation Airport Extreme. Don't know if current models are as well built but the oldies are forever.

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have the 2nd generation and I haven't rest it or anything since we moved here and I set it up. I live in a condo and I see at least 20 other networks and no issues at all. My network is all wireless too due to the limitations on where I live, I would recommend and AE in a heart beat.

14. koban4max macrumors 68000

i have extreme..it's the best...IMHO. I doubted at first...because i used to go with link sys..and other crap..after i got this...damn..it's fast..and STABLE!!! Easy to update!

15. rjbenson83 macrumors regular

My 802n AEX died on me in under two years. Went back to my rock solid linksys 54G with DD-WRT

16. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Exactly what Phrehdd said. You should really try to do better basic research in the future before making similarly unfounded claims that are simply unsupported by reliable sources.

No one disputes that the current AE isn't a solid router, but in terms of a purely price-performance ratio (even ignoring the fact that the AE lacks the added layer of interface settings that many advanced users prefer) there are significantly better options available.

I have no problem paying the 'Apple Tax' for many of their products, especially their notebooks. The AE isn't worth it in my opinion and should have a standard price (before any discounts/reductions) of $150 to be competitive with similarly capable routers. I think that the AE Time Capsule offers much better value in comparison.

17. UKgaryb macrumors regular

I don't know, the AE's are very very stable, I think the only thing that would beat it is a router + wifi ap combo. If your from an IS / IT Background, I guess you'd appreciate that it's running NetBSD. I agree the exposure of settings is very very thin on the ground. I did like my old DIR-655 even though it had some pretty serious bugs/flaws in the software.

18. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Yes, I am from an IT/IS background and while NetBSD certainly can be a good start, it is all about literal hardware and implementation. The AE falls short in various areas that can be easily remedied. Many of us remember the older interface for Airport which was superior to the present version where accessibility to certain features was easier. Some of those features now are completely missing. This certainly was a 'dumb'd down' "upgrade."

For all practical purposes, there is an Apple tax on what is now a piece of hardware with software that doesn't match capability.

19. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i agree that the AE/TC is not an amazing router, but as an AP its great, and its nice to have the seamless integration with TM. So, that's what i have done have a separate equipment for modem, routing, switching, and TC/AE for wifi...