AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 960design, Aug 6, 2014.

1. 960design macrumors 68020

It's that time again! Must update router. Just looking for recommendations from the genius's here.

Should I purchase the AirPort Extreme today or hold off for possible future update? I did do a lot of research to compare several wireless routers, but in the end the AirPort Extreme won out. Of course this is the item NOT listed in the Buyers guide.:confused:

2. dwfaust, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I doubt Apple will update the router that soon, so you don't have to worry about that. The AirPort Extreme is a great router, with a very high signal, but it's cost is 199$. I only recommend buying this one if you either have a huge house where your current router is lacking signal in certain places, if you have super-fast internet (600 Mbps+) or if you just need the multiple LAN ports. Otherwise, you can just buy the regular Airport Express, which is cheaper for 99$, and you don't have to worry about the updates for the router, since the first update for this product was released four years after the original release.

4. 960design, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

960design thread starter macrumors 68020

Sounds good to me, just ordered it. I didn't know of any new tech that had come out that would even be on the drawing board for a new home router. Just double checking.

We have several dedicated servers, video surveillance and many laptops / iPads / iPhone that connect for updates / backups / wlan gaming.

The other router that got cut was the fearsome, but quirky Asus RT-AC68U.

I'm lucky, I get it directly from Apple for $179

Thanks for the assist.

Attached Files:

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

No problem ;)

How did you get it for a cheaper price? I checked in the US Store and it was still 199$.

6. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

The other reason you might want one would be to take advantage of the fast 802.11ac wifi (on newer Macs) to access shared resources on your LAN, such as file and iTunes servers.

8. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

That's us.