Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dionysus_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
New York
I just switched internet providers and was looking to get an airport extreme 6th gen. Im hesitant to buy it now because Im not sure if apple is going to release a new one soon. They release one every 2 years on average, and the signal strength could use some improving, along with some added features. What does everyone else think? Would it be a good idea to buy one now or should I wait?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The latest is 802.11ac, and that's pretty close to state of the art. Other faster/better standards will require both your laptop and the base station to be on the same protocol for it to work. I have 802.11ac here at work, and get 400+ Mbps. Really. At home, where I have 802.11n Time Capsule I get 90+ Mbps through Comcast. But I am sure if you wait something faster will come along, eventually... :)

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Pretty much what @kohlson said. They're not likely to release a new router until there's been a shift to newer tech, and that's not happening right now - and when it does happen, you'll have to upgrade the devices that connect to the router too, to get the benefits.

Dionysus_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
New York
Well they've upgraded routers before without upgrading the protocols, and new protocols won't be available for another few years. They could always add just a few features and have better antennas, longer range, etc.

And the airport express is due for an upgrade since it lacks 802.11ac, so maybe they will upgrade the extreme as well?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well they've upgraded routers before without upgrading the protocols, and new protocols won't be available for another few years. They could always add just a few features and have better antennas, longer range, etc.

And the airport express is due for an upgrade since it lacks 802.11ac, so maybe they will upgrade the extreme as well?
There have actually been quite a few advances in 802.11ac routers since the latest Apple routers and they are overdue for an update. There is nothing really wrong with Apple's routers and they are very easy to configure with Airport Utility, but IMO beyond that there is little to recommend about them. Other more full featured and better performing routers can be purchased for less money.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

Look at reviews here for some ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.